Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
asigurds
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Asgeir Sigurdsson

Backup of Windows file server cluster

Post by asigurds »

Hi.

Can Veeam V8 or V9, in a VMware environment, backup two virtual Windows servers in a cluster with the file server role?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup of Windows file server cluster

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Asgeir,
Yes it can if system requirements are met.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

How are you clustering these VMs? If you are using shared storage, I don't think it is possible.

From https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... pport.html

Virtual Hardware
•All types and versions of virtual hardware are supported, including 62TB VMDK.
•Virtual machines with disks engaged in SCSI bus sharing are not supported, because VMware does not support snapshotting such VMs.
•RDM virtual disks in physical mode, Independent disks, and disks connected via in-guest iSCSI initiator are not supported, and are skipped from processing automatically. Network shares and mount points targeted to 3rd party storage devices are also skipped as these volumes/disks are not visible in the VM configuration file.

With Hyper-V, it is possible to get crash-consistent backups of Shared VHDX, but the same limitation with RDMs, in-guest iSCSI or FC still apply.
asigurds
Novice

Post by asigurds »

Shestakov wrote:Hi Asgeir,
Yes it can if system requirements are met.
I think you probably are misunderstanding the question :)
I meant that I want to backup the file server(s), not to the file server(s).
asigurds
Novice

Post by asigurds »

nmdange wrote:How are you clustering these VMs? If you are using shared storage, I don't think it is possible.

From https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... pport.html

Virtual Hardware
•All types and versions of virtual hardware are supported, including 62TB VMDK.
•Virtual machines with disks engaged in SCSI bus sharing are not supported, because VMware does not support snapshotting such VMs.
•RDM virtual disks in physical mode, Independent disks, and disks connected via in-guest iSCSI initiator are not supported, and are skipped from processing automatically. Network shares and mount points targeted to 3rd party storage devices are also skipped as these volumes/disks are not visible in the VM configuration file.

With Hyper-V, it is possible to get crash-consistent backups of Shared VHDX, but the same limitation with RDMs, in-guest iSCSI or FC still apply.
Ok, looks like it isn't supported as it would use shared storage or it is not worth the effort.