Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brichardson1991_obk
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Ben Richardson

Backup proxy location

Post by brichardson1991_obk »

My boss submitted the following ticket and although has closed it we have one more issue in relation to it : 01043562

On source side
Hosts 1,2,3 all attached to SAN 1/2
VM's are stored on SAN 1/2 via ISCSI

Target side
hosts 3,4,5 all attached to synology unit
VM's stored on synology via ISCSI
Backup machine is on host 3 and backs up to local disk

if we put a vm in for hot add on the source side does it need to be stored on the SAN's too or can it be stored on a host's local disk?

Kind regards
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

Re: Backup proxy location

So all i have to do is install windows on a host that has access to san 1 & 2 and install veeam from the backup server using the repository then tick the hot add mode?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

I'm sorry, had to delete my previous post. I totally forgot to ask something important - as I remember you use Hyper-V, correct? If so, then you can not use hot-add backup mode as this feature is available in VMware environment only. If you were talking about VMware then yes - install a Windows VM onto the host which has an access to a storage where the VM to be backed up resides at, add that Windows VM as a proxy and you're good to go.

Thank you.
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

No we use VMWare only.

We just had a machine called hyper-v, no idea why... that machine is retired now anyway
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

Also just to confirm the backup hotadd proxy apart from windows and Veeam it shouldn't need to be any bigger in size? So if I give it 30Gb C drive I should be good to go?

Also how would adding this proxy affect backups?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Also just to confirm the backup hotadd proxy apart from windows and Veeam it shouldn't need to be any bigger in size? So if I give it 30Gb C drive I should be good to go?
For requirements please refer to this guide, "VMware Backup Proxy Server" section.
Also how would adding this proxy affect backups?
It might take more time for backup job to actually start backing up because proxy needs some time to hot-add required disks. After a disk has been added VM data is retrieved or written directly from/to the datastore, instead of going through the network. Though hot-add mode gives you performance improvement it has some limitations.

If you have a spare physical machine then I'd recommend you to stick with direct SAN mode.

Thank you.
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

We use a EMC San Via ISCSI so we can't do Direct SAN as of yet. That is correct right?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

We use a EMC San Via ISCSI so we can't do Direct SAN as of yet. That is correct right?
The lack of integration with EMC storages means that you will not be able to backup from storage snapshot, while you still can use Direct SAN mode with no difficulties. Is that what worries you?
aro_77
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Arek

Post by aro_77 »

Sorry... how can i determine what transport type is used by proxy when backup started?
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

To enable Direct SAN mode for EMC how would we do this, would our backup server need to be attached to the ISCSI network and see all the LUN's?
PTide
Product Manager

Sorry... how can i determine what transport type is used by proxy when backup started?
You can specify that in your proxy settings. Go to "Backup Infrastructure" tab --> Backup Proxies --> Properties --> Server --> Transport Mode.
To enable Direct SAN mode for EMC how would we do this, would our backup server need to be attached to the ISCSI network and see all the LUN's?
No, it does not have to be attached to iSCSI network if you run a separate proxy:
Direct SAN Access wrote:To use the Direct SAN Access transport mode, make sure that the following requirements are met:

1.The backup proxy using the Direct SAN Access transport mode must have a direct access to the production storage via a hardware or software HBA. If a direct SAN connection is not configured or not available when a job or task starts, the job or task will fail.

2.SAN storage volumes presented as VMware datastores must be exposed to the OS of the backup proxy that works in the Direct SAN transport mode.

The volumes must be visible in Disk Management but must not be initialized by the OS. Otherwise, the VMFS filesystem will be overwritten with NTFS, and volumes will become unrecognizable by ESX(i) hosts. To prevent volumes initialization, Veeam Backup & Replication automatically sets the SAN Policy within each proxy to Offline Shared.

3.[For restore operations] The backup proxy must have write access to LUNs where VM disks are located.
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

So adding a physical machine with direct SAN will speed up the initial replication and speed up backups altogether.

However for subsequent replication it will run over the network unless we add a 2nd proxy for hotadd only?
PTide
Product Manager

Yes, all is correct, however there is one more thing to mention regarding this part:
subsequent replication it will run over the network unless we add a 2nd proxy for hotadd only
That holds only for target side (writes). The source side keeps going in Direct San mode (reads).
brichardson1991_obk
Expert

Thanks for the update.
aro_77
Novice

Post by aro_77 »

PTide wrote:You can specify that in your proxy settings. Go to "Backup Infrastructure" tab --> Backup Proxies --> Properties --> Server --> Transport Mode.
But I want to have automatic option because if I understand it, it gives me backup over network when my FC is not connected/ is failed. I only want to know how backup was made - any log/statistic?
PTide
Product Manager

But I want to have automatic option because if I understand it, it gives me backup over network when my FC is not connected/ is failed.
Then you should place a tick "Failover to network mode if primary mode fails, or is unavailable" under "Transport Mode".
I only want to know how backup was made - any log/statistic?
In case job is failing to a network mode you'll see a warning in a job log. For example "Hot add is not supported for this disk, failing over to network mode"

Thank you.
aro_77
Novice

Post by aro_77 »

Thanks, now is everything clear and simple!