Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SunkistDavid
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David

Backup remote site seeding question

Post by SunkistDavid »

We run a backup job of two of our VM Clusters to a local NAS every weekend. I've now been requested to have that same data to be located at our remote DR site for recovery in case we have a replica corruption.

I don't want to run another backup job across the WAN that keeps the VM's in snapped mode for an extensive period of time. So I was thinking of using our NAS replication component to replicate the VMWAREBACKUP folder that contains the local NAS backup to our remote site. Once completed then create a new backup job that will point to the remote site directory. In theory this will do away with the initial seeding and utilize CBT to cut down on the amount backed-up.

Will this work or will there be any issues with components such as CBT

Thanks
SunkistDavid
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David

Backup remote site seeding question

Post by SunkistDavid »

Just a note to clarify

The files or structure naming on the remote site NAS will be the same as the local site NAS after replication occurs. I will then have two seperate jobs one pointing to the local NAS and one pointing to the remote NAS.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup remote site seeding question

Post by foggy »

David, this should not cause any issues. Just create a new repository on the remote site NAS, rescan it, and map the new job to the existing backup files.