Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iwik
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Backup repository - spanned volume?

Post by iwik »

Hi,

as backup repository we are using VM (win 2008 R2) with RDM disks. Due underlying storage features (transparent migration on storage side) we are using 4TB LUNs. This LUNs are at Windows side grouped into one big spanned volume used as storage repository. I have currently 3 LUNs (12 TB in total) and running out of space in storage repository. Is anybody using similar setup - spanned volume as storage repository?
From my point of view this setup have:
Benefits: easy management, only one storage repository in veeam, efficient space usage
Negatives: unusual setup?, one failed lun whole repository down (but i'm ok with that)

Another option for me is to create multiple storage repositories on LUNs and split backup jobs to this repositories. But it seems to me inefficient, wasting of space.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backup repository - spanned volume?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
"Negatives: unusual setup?, one failed lun whole repository down (but i'm ok with that)"
Do you have a secondary destination?
Due underlying storage features
What storage do you use and how is it connected to your virtual host?

Thank you.
iwik
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by iwik »

No, I don't have secondary destination yet. About storage - it is FC SAN. That 4TB limit is on Hitachi HUS for externally virtualized volumes (https://community.hds.com/thread/5403).
But back to my original question - some feedback about using spanned volume as storage repository?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

The spanned volume works like a raid0, so anything happening at one of the extents creates issues to the entire volume.
We are planning to solve these issues in a different way in v9, you just have to wait a bit to see what's coming. Yes, shameless teaser, but it's worth the wait ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

Spanned volumes seems risky to me and was always deemed as bad practice on these forums, but I guess it all depends on how much you value your data. It resembles RAID0, but doesn't have the performance - having smaller volumes with more jobs would make for quicker backups and restores, transforms would be quicker due to smaller VBKs, but obviously you'd be using much more space.
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

[MERGED] Adding a spanned drive as veeam repository

Post by kaboomza »

Just wanted to check if it would be advised to merge 2 disk's added to my veeam server in a spanned configuration for more storage, and if there are any drawbacks to using that as a veeam repository for storing backups?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Adding a spanned drive as veeam repository

Post by wishr »

Hello Jaques,

I'd suggest using Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR) instead.

I'm merging your topic with existing discussion.

Thanks