Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Backup role for end users

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

one can delegate restore functionality to an end user from within Enterprise manager. (roles/restore operator). That works fine. But actually I am looking for a way to also delegate "backup" functionality in the same way. So a role "backup" operator and granularly give access to for example a specific backupjob. Why you might ask? Well, we have defined some jobs that backup a set of dependent machines, for example they define an application. For various reasons the application owners can ask for a complete backup of those machines (application upgrade for example). Look at it as a quick backup as in V8. Anyway, an example: this weekend they want to upgrade an application. This in total consists of 7 machines. They want to start off with a backup of those machines. Now I have to take care of that. If there was such a role, I could define it and let the end user take care of his own backup.. Would make life again a little bit more easier.

Thanks, Peter
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Backup role for end users

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Peter. What about letting them perform Quick Backup using vSphere Web Client? You can give them granular permissions, so that they only see their own VMs. Thanks!
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Re: Backup role for end users

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi Anton, I get what you suggest. But managing this within EM would be a better option in my opinion. I think it will take much more effort to maintain this within Vsphere webclient from a customer perspective. For our environment in which we have some very strict and complex authorization scheme's this will not be setup and maintained so easy. Maybe my question can be considered a feature request, something to be discussed about at R&D. Thank you for replying.

Bye, Peter