Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
h0tt5auc3
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike W

Backup schedule for archive?

Post by h0tt5auc3 »

So I'm backing up to a Synology NAS and have our main backups going there with quite a bit of retention set. I setup a second folder for archival data where I just want monthly's going, then a couple of quarterlies, then a couple of yearlies.

I have a backup copy job that is trying to do this, but it looks like it insists that I keep at least two daily incrementals. I'm trying to sync this folder with Amazon Glacier, which is strictly for archival storage, so these couple dailies that are in there are going to mess everything up.

Is there any way to just send a backup copy of ONLY monthlies/quarterlies/yearlies to a folder instead of having these dailies in there as well?

Thanks in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup schedule for archive?

Post by foggy »

Hi Mike, if I'm not mistaken, if you set the copy interval to 7 days, enable the "Read from source..." check box and schedule weekly backups on the same day the copy interval starts, there will be no increments in the chain.
h0tt5auc3
Novice

Post by h0tt5auc3 »

Thanks for the quick reply. Wouldn't that mean I have to switch my daily backups to weekly backups then? I see where you're referencing the "read from source" option so I have that checked now.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Regular backup job settings do not affect backup copy, if that is what you mean. You can leave daily schedule for the source job.
h0tt5auc3
Novice

Post by h0tt5auc3 »

I'm a little confused as to the "set the copy interval to 7 days" part. We have our backup copy set to "continuous" and our backups take place every night and we are using reverse incrementals. What would I have to change in order to make this work? Thanks again!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'm talking about the Copy every setting.
h0tt5auc3
Novice

Post by h0tt5auc3 »

Ah, gotcha. Okay, I changed that setting to every 7 days and I'll see if that resolves the incremental issue. Thanks so much for your help!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Let us know how it worked.