Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
thomas.biesmans
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Backup server migration

Post by thomas.biesmans »

I've performed a few migrations the last couple of weeks where new backup hardware is installed to replace the old ones. Sources were either physical backup servers with local / SAN attached storage or separate Backup server VMs. Veeam allows you to migrate data using the Config Backup (migrate option), super easy, which I love.

The only downside for me is the quick and dirty 'Find and Replace' between old & new server. Backup Repos on the original Backup Server get moved to the new server, if it was a tape server, then that is moved to the new server as well. I'm able to get everything working again, but there are annoying "this server is already added / configured" checks where I have to remove the migrated tape server and add both old and new server. Would love to have an option just to move the Backup Server role and leave everything else as-is.

Would I be better served with the restore option (Help Center link) or is this currently not possible yet?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup server migration

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what about giving the new servers the same name / IP address? By doing that, only rescan is needed and everything is working again.

Best regards,
Hannes
thomas.biesmans
Enthusiast

Hey Hannes,

That does work indeed, but my question is specifically for scenarios where that (big bang) isn't possible or needed :)

For example when you are replacing an older physical backup server with a newer hardware platform and where you start new backups on the new server while retaining the old backups on the old one according to the retention policy instead of copying everything. Add in an older SAS tape library on the old one and a newer one on the new one and you'll get an even messier use case.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, I'm not sure that I can follow which component you really replace in which situation and when you like to keep which data.

In the initial post, I understood that you move the data. In the second post, I understand that you keep the data on the old server.

So for me it looks like a complex task for very specific use cases. And that's probably the reason, why it is not possible today :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
thomas.biesmans
Enthusiast

Ah, you mean "Backup Repos on the original Backup Server get moved to the new server,..."?

That's me explaining what Veeam does, changing the ownership / server of backup repos from the old migrated backup server to the new server using a quick and dirty find & replace. The data doesn't actually get moved, so I get to change those Repos, tape settings, etc. back to the old server. The reason for this post is that I don't want to do all that extra work ;)

Migrating backup data is a very rare occurrence, it's a waste of time and resources:
- old situation: old server with direct attached storage running Backup Server, Proxy & Repo.
- new situation: old server running Proxy & Repo (for old backups, to be removed when retention expires), new server running Backup Server, Proxy & Repo (for new, fresh Active Full, backups).

It's not complex, the migration wizard is doing more than it needs to. Just have an option not to change the Proxy / Repo / Tape roles, just the Backup Server role.

This is for environments without Scale-Out Repos btw, no idea if they get the same treatment.