Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FireMedic949
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Kropchuk

Backup Service Provider/Cloud Connect Infrastructure

Post by FireMedic949 »

I'm getting an error message "Using regular backup or replication functionality is restricted for Cloud Connect infrastructure servers to avoid impact on your tenants."

Configuration/Design Background
I'm a small MSP using Veeam B&R to backup customers with repositories stored locally at each customer location. Internally I have a Hyper-V server running several VMs including my internal DC and a server hosting Veeam Service Provider Console/Cloud Connect and some other monitoring tools. I am only using Service Provider Console for monitoring of backup jobs (only way I know of to integrate alerts with Connectwise Manage). I am not using Cloud Connect for offsite backups. When I try to backup any of the VMs on this Hyper-V server, I get the error message above. What is the correct way to backup the VMs on this Hyper-V server? I could spin up a VM just to host the Veeam Cloud Connect and Service Provider Console but it looks like it won't allow backups of ANY other VMs on the same Hyper-V server. Do I need to setup a separate physical machine just for Veeam? If so, how do I back that up?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Backup Service Provider/Cloud Connect Infrastructure

Post by Gostev »

Right, backup server for your internal DC backup needs must be different from your MSP infrastructure server. Moving the latter to a dedicated VM might be a good way to solve the issue in your specific case, since you are not using it as an off-site backup target for your tenants.

Backup server does not have to be "a separate physical machine just for Veeam" unless the size of your data center dictates the need to use dedicated hardware to be able to back all of its machines within the required backup window.

People don't normally backup a backup server, because you can usually provision new one much faster than what restoring an image-level backup takes. Then you just restore the latest configuration backup, and you're good to go. Having said that, you CAN back it up if you really want to. You do it just like you backup any other virtual or physical machine with Veeam.

Thanks!

P.S. If you're a service provider, you should apply to the corresponding forum Users Group to gain access to the private forum for service providers where MSP-specific questions are discussed between your peers and the corresponding PMs.