Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Backup size trends?

Post by xmzmc »

Hi,

The available space on the device I use to store the backups is growing smaller and smaller lately and I suspect a specific VM to be the cause of this. Does Veaam Backup and Replication have any tools available to see how much space a specific VM claims in the Veeam backup? Preferably historical (growing) charts or something like that. I only use two jobs: 1 job for all our Windows VM's and 1 job for all our Linux VM's.

I've checked the actual .vbk and .vib files on the device but they don't provide any historical data and also they don't carry the names of the VM.

Thanks in advance
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Backup size trends?

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Veeam ONE's Veeam Backup Files Growth report should help you with that.

Thanks
xmzmc
Enthusiast

Post by xmzmc »

Thank you, I will take a look into this.

Another question: we have weekly synthetic full backups and from what I've read and understand it creates the synthetic full backup from data already stored on the repository. Does the repository need more free disk space for those synthetics compared to normal active full backups? I'm asking this because it has to move data around... right? Or doesn't it make a difference?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

The size of a synthetic full backup is comparable with the size of an active full backup, however, during the creation of the synthetic full the incremental backup will be also consuming some space. Thus, the whole operation may require a little more space than an active full backup, but you'll get some space back once the incremental backup is deleted.

Thanks
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 2 people like this post

xmzmc wrote: Aug 23, 2021 1:41 pm Thank you, I will take a look into this.

Another question: we have weekly synthetic full backups and from what I've read and understand it creates the synthetic full backup from data already stored on the repository. Does the repository need more free disk space for those synthetics compared to normal active full backups? I'm asking this because it has to move data around... right? Or doesn't it make a difference?
If you are using ReFS or XFS filesystem on the repository, synthetic fulls shouldn't take up any space.
xmzmc
Enthusiast

Post by xmzmc » 1 person likes this post

@wishr: ah yeah than my assumption was right. Ok thanks.
@nmdange: no we don't use that unfortunately but thanks for the info.