Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
klasikrkade
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank

Backup speed issues w/ SAN

Post by klasikrkade »

We have 3 server here running VEEAM Backup and Replication 4.1.1. Two of our servers are acting as backup servers. They each have 2 QLOGIC HBA cards. We are running fiber from these cards through 2 seperate CISCO 9124's (One card to one switch and one to the other) and these in turn run to 2 seperate HBA cards on our IBM 4700 SAN.

On the one server I am running 15 or so jobs. Each of these jobs' average throughput is between 150 mb/s all the way up to 800-900 mb/s depending upon the day. I assume these are normal speeds given our setup.

The problem is on the second server. This machine in addition to Veeam is also running ARCServe. There is also a SCSI based tape device attached to this server and currently writes ARCserve jobs to tape. This is in place as we are transitioning from ARCserve to Veeam.

Each of these jobs see abysmal throughput times 4-10 mb/s sometimes less. This occurs even when there are no ARCserve jobs or services running. Strangely enough when I reboot the server the jobs seem to revert to much better times but then the horrible times return. I would blame ARCserve but these times are bad even when nothing related to ARCserve is running.

Any idea what is going on here?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup speed issues w/ SAN

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Frank,

Could you please tell us what is the current CPU load if you look at the Task Manager while the backup job is running? Also could you please check if the job is not failing over to network mode by any chance?

Thanks!
nguyent
Enthusiast
Full Name: Tan Nguyen

Post by nguyent »

We have the same problem here. Backup to local usb version1 or local internal disk and sometimes it runs at 6Ms/Sec. The replication is worse between two sites 100 Mb link and it runs at 5Ms/Sec.

The CPU usage is between 83-100%. What can I do?
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tan,

If you have a high CPU usage during the backup job is performed, it means that the bottleneck of the performance issues is your poor hardware on the Veeam Backup server. I would definitely recommend you to install Veeam Backup and Replication on more powerful machine. Alternatively, you can change the compression level to Low in the job settings, that should improve the performance at the cost of backup size.

As per system requirements, we recommend installing Veeam Backup on modern multi-core computer for best results.

Thank you!
nguyent
Enthusiast
Full Name: Tan Nguyen

Post by nguyent »

Vitaliy S.
Thanks for reply.
Tan