Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Alindeberg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Lindeberg

Backup to Daily Rotating Drives

Post by Alindeberg »

I have a customer who has Veeam B&R 7.0.0.771 with 4 virtual machines taking up 2TB of space on a single host. They want to setup a backup job that backs up to ESATA Fantom drives every night that will be switched out daily with each day on it's own drive. Would it work to use incremental backup, and if I did it this was would I set it up so that each day had it's own backup job and repository? I would also apply the registry hack and patch for the time that a drive forgot to be switched out. I wanted to do the backup using incremental instead of active fulls since it takes over 19-hours to backup the 2TBs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup to Daily Rotating Drives

Post by Gostev »

If you replace the drive, it will trigger active full. There is no way to continue incremental chain on the newly added drive.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to Daily Rotating Drives

Post by foggy »

Alindeberg wrote:Would it work to use incremental backup, and if I did it this was would I set it up so that each day had it's own backup job and repository?
If you create several jobs (by the number of rotated drives) and schedule them appropriately, you will be able to perform incremental runs for each of them.