Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rpmahony
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup to Dropbox - Limit backup file size?

Post by rpmahony »

We've got 3TB of storage in our Dropbox for Business account. We're using a whopping 180ish GB. I'd LOVE to utilize that storage as off-site backup. Since Dropbox doesn't support (to my knowledge) bit-level sync, I was wondering if there's a way to split the backup files in a way that smaller updates could be pushed to Dropbox. Direct API change to Veeam to support Dropbox would be awesome…

We have 50Mbps of fiber in and out, so our connection is decent, but my backup files would still take all night to upload if left to Dropbox's file-level updates. Any thoughts on this as a real-world cloud backup solution? I did some searching of these forums but only found a few people asking if anyone uses Dropbox as a backup target, with no answers.

Thanks in advance
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup to Dropbox - Limit backup file size?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Can you please tell me what backup mode are you using? Reversed or Forward incremental?

Thank you!
rpmahony
Influencer

Post by rpmahony »

Sorry, I should have given the details:

I'm running Veeam B&R v6.5.0.109. My nightly backup job is a VMware backup, incremental with synthetic fulls, using CBT with active full every Saturday.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Regardless of backup mode, there is no way to split VBK. I am a bit surprised thought to learn that Dropbox does not support something like rsync.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Anton is absolutely correct, you cannot split backup files, but if you're using forward incremental, then only new files VIBs will be synced with the offsite location. This is much less traffic to work with compared to reversed incremental mode.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Until the next full backup only ;) but you are right, still tons better than reversed incremental for file-level sync. Although you will have to "pay" for this with the disk space consumption.
rpmahony
Influencer

Post by rpmahony »

Thanks for the input. I think I'll do a test copy of one of the bigger files to see what kind of performance I'd get on the weekend.