Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tom84
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup to NAS box with security OR securing backups

Post by Tom84 »

Hi

Trying to setup some backup jobs to NAS boxes with security enabled. When doing so I recieved "Could not find a part of the path" when using the UNC path. This is due to lack of permissions... The NAS box is on a workgroup and Veeam is setup on a Domain.

Where can I provide credentials for this NAS box? Or is there no option/workaround to currently do this.

Failing that, is it possible to secure the backups? They will be offsite so I'm not too happy having them sat on a NAS box with no security.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Backup to NAS box with security OR securing backups

Post by Gostev »

Hello, if your NAS has NFS intergration option, then you could connect it to a Linux server and use that server/mount as your backup target. For Linux servers, we do provide ability to enter credentials, but for Windows it is only regular domain authentication.

We do plan on adding built-in encryption down the road, but I realize that does not really help you today.
Tom84
Influencer

Post by Tom84 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

We are running ESXi so only "This host or shared folder" backup targets are supported. The NAS boxes themselves support NFS and iSCSI.

Built-in encryption would be good, good to know it's in the pipeline.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Tom, if you add Linux server to Veeam Backup via Add Server wizard, it will appear in the destination selection drop-down list.
Tom84
Influencer

Post by Tom84 »

Ah ok, that does work (Linux server as a target host), although I'm not sure it's the route I want to go for a few reasons. Thanks for the help.