Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
quiddi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Quiddi Quiddinson

Backup USB Drives ESXi

Post by quiddi »

Hi Guys,
I have a Virtual Machine which is hosted in ESXi. Let's call this Virtual Machine "VM1" and the EXSi host "ESXi-Host1".
I now plug into the ESXi-Host1 physically a USB-Pen-Drive. In the ESXi-Host1 settings I forward this USB-Pen-Drive to the VM1. I can now mount in VM1 the USB-Pen-Drive, write Data to it in VM1,...
What is happening now in Veeam Backup & Replication. In Backup-Jobs is an option which is called "All disks". Normally it backs up all disks of the VM. What is happening with my USB-Pen-Drive if I tell Veeam to backup All Disks of VM1. Is the Data of the USB-Pen-Drive included in the Backup or not?

Thanks in advance.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup USB Drives ESXi

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Quiddi, welcome to the community!

Veeam B&R protects virtual disks, so the physical USB stick mounted on the VM will be ignored. Thanks!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Quiddi,

Passthrough devices are not supported by VMware snapshots, unfortunately, so they cannot be backed up by our vSphere backups. However, if it's an external hard drive (not a flash drive - those are not supported) you may try to get it backed up using Veeam Agent.

Thanks
quiddi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Quiddi Quiddinson

Post by quiddi »

Thanks for your answers guys.
Veeam B&R protects virtual disks
Just to be sure. Selecting "All disks" in "Veeam Backup & Replication" means to back up all virtual Disks from this machine?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, if you protect a virtual machine - all disks mean all virtual disks. Thanks!