Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Backup via WAN

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

today we have an ESX-Cluster in our main location and we backup the VMs with Veeam Enterprise. We have a remote location with three physical servers and we do there a backup with Backup Exec on tape. Now my Idea is to install ESX to virtualize these physical servers but of course I want to copy the backups to our main location to put them on tape. How can we do this?

The two locations are connected via 10 MBit/s MPLS and the physical machines are about 500 GByte uncompressed (just NTFS drive size). Is it correct that I should install a backup repository (e.g. NAS) on the remote location and that the backups will be replicated to the main location? What is about the 10 Mbit/s and is it necessary (or possible?) to copy the first sync manually?

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup via WAN

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

You need to have a VPN connection from your HQ to the remote location, so you use backup copy jobs to transfer local VM backups (remote site) to the HQ location. You can, indeed, consider doing first sync manually (via seeding your backup copy jobs) and don't forget to try WAN accelerators to minimize the amount of traffic going through that link.

Thanks!
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You need to have a VPN connection from your HQ to the remote location, so you use backup copy jobs to transfer local VM backups (remote site) to the HQ location. You can, indeed, consider doing first sync manually (via seeding your backup copy jobs) and don't forget to try WAN accelerators to minimize the amount of traffic going through that link.
Yes it is a VPN connection via MPLS but I can't imagine what traffic will go thorugh the line even when we use WAN accelerators? Is it possible to install all necessary components on the remote site in VMs?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it is possible. If you want to do remote backups of the VMs, then you will need these components on the remote site:

- backup proxy
- backup repository
- WAN accelerator on both sites

All these components will be managed by your HQ backup server. You will need to create backup jobs and explicitly select remote proxy/repository servers, and then create backup copy jobs that will be using those repositories as a source of VM backups. Backup copy jobs in this case will be targeted to your backup repositories on the HQ site.

Hope this helps!