Backup visualisation

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Backup visualisation

Veeam Logoby NOC » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:32 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to plan my backups more precisely. I would like to know if somebody uses some tool for backup mapping. I saw some old topics on this forums:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/feature-request-visual-backup-mapping-t1069.html
veeam-backup-replication-f2/temporal-map-of-backup-jobs-t6335.html

I know backup windows of my backup jobs and schedule. Is it possible to visualise this data? Except Excel or calendar.

Best regards
NOC
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Igor Ivanov

Re: Backup visualisation

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 am

Hello Igor and welcome to the forums!

There is a Veeam ONE monitoring tool which shows the top jobs duration and backup window.
We are also planning to add a timeline/calendar in next versions to visualize the executed and planned jobs.

Could you specify your demand, what information would you like to see?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 407 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby NOC » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

Hello and thank you for an answer,

we are using VeeamONE as well. Map or chart of backup windows on the timeline would be very handy. For instance, if we have some backup jobs and want to add one more, we could look at the chart to choose the best time for backup. Currently we have 17 backup jobs, all of them are automated, some of them run everyday. It is difficult to add new jobs and to manage the existing ones, sometimes they overlap.
NOC
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:32 am

Igor, what is your concern regarding jobs overlapping? If it is resource consumption, then you can limit the number of concurrent tasks assigned to proxy and repository servers to control the load. So basically you do not need "to choose the best time for backup", you just start all your jobs at the same time and allow automatic resource scheduler spread the load.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby NOC » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:51 am

Of course we do it, but sometimes it is a bad idea to do it without planning. For example, we have a datastore cluster for customers, 5 datastores. Each datastore should have 3 restore points for a week. If we run all these jobs the same time - some of them just won't start because of timeout. And there are also 12 more automated jobs, and there will be more soon. Backup proxy currently has 8 cores. Few times we had a timeout problem. This is why such a graphical tool could be very handy for us.
NOC
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:02 am

Could you please elaborate on what kind of timeout do you mean? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby NOC » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:12 am

This is an example:
Job [...] cannot be started. SessionId: [...], Timeout: [...]
Job has failed unexpectedly

Also, for some machines we have a quite strict backup window, another reason why we should carefully choose time for them.
NOC
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:21 am

NOC wrote:For instance, if we have some backup jobs and want to add one more, we could look at the chart to choose the best time for backup. Currently we have 17 backup jobs, all of them are automated, some of them run everyday. It is difficult to add new jobs and to manage the existing ones, sometimes they overlap.

Thanks for the reply, that`s exactly what we are planning to work on in future versions of Veeam ONE.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Feature Request: Calender/Shedule Overview

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 pm 2 people like this post

Veeam B&R has quite some different places were you can schedule things:

- job schedule of different job types like backup to repository, backup snapshot, backup snapmirror/vault, tapejob and so on (i know it's not always necassary to "time" jobs, bether to link them or let them process parallel)
- backup files health check
- full backup file maintanance
- full backup for tape jobs
- configuration backup
- Backup windows of jobs
- and so on

So let's imagine having some linked jobs, some jobs running at the same time, one or two tape jobs, some jobs even processing the same VMs etc. Quite confusing when which one is running?

It would be really nice to have an calendar - like overview of all those shedules
Even better: also take the start end end time of the job logs and present the result with the job name in a calendar like view --> i would LOVE this feature which many other backup vendors have!
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, that`s exactly what we are planning to work on in future versions of Veeam ONE.

Thanks for moving my post, i would support to add at least a small subset of this feature in Veeam B&R. Would be a pitty to destroys veeam goal for simplicity to add this feature only to a second software....
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Hello,
We are working on the feature now and would like to get more feedback.
As far as I understood you would like to have a calendar with historical information about finished jobs, but what about time range? Would you like to have a daily, weekly or monthly view?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:27 am

Hi!
Thanks, really looking forward for this feauture!!
Time range is difficult: I think in most situations (for us) a daily and weekly week will be helpfull, but when working with tapes a monthly range could be necessary.
Of course, best would be a switchable/scrollable timerange......
Please keep in mind to display start and end job of jobs as well as other shedules i mentioned in my post above!

THX!!
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby blithespirit » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:43 am

Hello Plandata_At,
Another question around your timeouts, what resources have you got for doing the backups?
How many proxies, repositories have you configured (assuming VMware, off-host proxy if Hyper-V), it sounds like the jobs are queueing on the proxys.

You could try to use more Proxies to spread the jobs across more resources or alternatively if your proxies are virtual add more vCPU's and memory to be able to run more jobs in parallel. On each proxy 1 vCPU and 2Gb Ram will run 1 task at a time (VM HDD) the more you add the more you will be able to run, also the repository needs to be able to cope with the same resources your proxies are given. this does not take away what you want to see as a calendar view but it may help you with timeouts on your jobs.
blithespirit
Veeam Software

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Paul Szelsi

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:44 am

plandata_at wrote:Hi!
Thanks, really looking forward for this feauture!!
Time range is difficult: I think in most situations (for us) a daily and weekly week will be helpfull, but when working with tapes a monthly range could be necessary.
Of course, best would be a switchable/scrollable timerange......
Please keep in mind to display start and end job of jobs as well as other shedules i mentioned in my post above!
THX!!

Thanks for the feedback!
Once you have new ideas, please share them with us!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby plandata_at » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:43 am

blithespirit wrote:Hello Plandata_At,
Another question around your timeouts, what resources have you got for doing the backups?
How many proxies, repositories have you configured (assuming VMware, off-host proxy if Hyper-V), it sounds like the jobs are queueing on the proxys.

You could try to use more Proxies to spread the jobs across more resources or alternatively if your proxies are virtual add more vCPU's and memory to be able to run more jobs in parallel. On each proxy 1 vCPU and 2Gb Ram will run 1 task at a time (VM HDD) the more you add the more you will be able to run, also the repository needs to be able to cope with the same resources your proxies are given. this does not take away what you want to see as a calendar view but it may help you with timeouts on your jobs.

Hi blitthespirit,

a bit confused now, your answer doesn't have anything todo with this topic?
plandata_at
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication