Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Backup window reports

Post by ejenner »

I don't use Veeam Enterprise Manager or Veeam One. I prefer the more pure experience of going straight to the Backup & Replication console and this is probably why I can't see what I want to see. Nevertheless, this is how I use the product as a Veeam customer... and the customer is always right... haha, dunno, maybe. :wink:

So I'm recommending an improvement / making a suggestion to include features for showing overall backup times at various points in the chain. We just upgraded one of our main site-2-site links and my manager asked if I could tell him how much of an impact it has had on our backup copy times. Upon attempting to pull up this data it became apparent there would not be any way for me to get the information. I thought about opening the report for one job and recording the individual duration times, averaging them out and seeing if the average time has improved since the link was upgraded. But I ran into difficulties due to the granularity of the data with some copy jobs being 1.5 minutes and some of them being 50 minutes I did not think I could get a clear picture.

Thinking about this in greater depth, if you could get a performance report for any item in the backup infrastructure that could provide some interesting feedback. If for instance you could right-click on a repository and get statistics for all the monitorable parameters that could be interesting. Especially if you could see performance before and after a hardware upgrade. It could help to guide future decisions.

I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be. i.e. install Veeam One or Enterprise Manager because it's all in there already. But then again, maybe not?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup window reports

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you know the answer :-)

VeeamONE collects Veeam data and if something is missing from am monitoring / reporting perspective, then VeeamONE will be the place where we add it. When it comes to performance monitoring: that's something a general purpose monitoring system should offer (at least that's what I did when I managed production environments). When upgrading hardware, then the graph for some metrics should change (higher bandwidth utilization, lower CPU consumption, etc.)

Best regards,
Hannes