Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over

Post by foggy »

Louis, what Veeam B&R version are you at? As far as I remember, this behavior was addressed in v8. Backup copy jobs do not fail in case the corresponding backup job did not run - the job will still run on Sunday, since it is continuous, however should not throw any errors.
MrDave
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Backup Copy Settings

Post by MrDave »

Hi,

We currently have backup copies take place everyday day. But we have our backups happen only on weekdays. Due to this happening backup copy jobs error register a failure over the weekend.

For example error email

Code: Select all

Sunday, 15 November 2015 12:00:15 AM
Success0Start time12:00:15 AMProcessed0.0 KBBackup size30.1 MBSome VMs were not processed during the copy interval
Warning0End time12:35:09 AM (+1)Read0.0 KBDedupe1.0x

Error1Duration0:44:49 Transferred0.0 KB (1x)Compression1.0x
Details 
NameStatusStart timeEnd timeProcessedReadTransferredDurationDetails
SERVERNAMEError12:10:15 AM12:00:15 AM (+1)0.0 KB0.0 KB0.0 KB (1x)0:00:00 Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval

Is there a way to have this not happen? It should be a graceful error instead of a failure ? Can we have backup copy jobs have the option to only run on weekdays as well ? Yes we could disable the job for weekends but that's not a clean solution.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please review the answer above, the job shouldn't fail if you're on the latest version.
BTobbe
Influencer

[MERGED] Backup copy jobs failing

Post by BTobbe »

Hi,

So we are having some issues with our new DR site, I haven't set up backup copy jobs before. But right now I have tried to disable the jobs so it doesn't run on Saturdays or Sundays (as our full backups on these days makes it unable to also copy during the same time period). This creates an alert every Saturday and Sunday (almost) that the backup copy job failed: Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval, Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval.

I have a hard time understanding how to fix this, If I make it so it should be disabled on sundays and saturdays, why is it still trying to run? The jobs are always on and on "idle" when they aren't copying.

Another issue that I think might be related to this is that everytime a backup copy job fails, it creates a .vib file with the normal name for that name with the size of 30 844kb and I'm guessing this is because it failed. But I'm unsure if this is later copied on the day after when the job ran again succesfully or is that day lost? Is there more information I can read about how it works when a job fails and how it then continues? If it just ignores that day or if it tries to copy it again the day after?

http://imgur.com/a3LuYe3
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: [MERGED] Backup copy jobs failing

Post by foggy »

BTobbe wrote:This creates an alert every Saturday and Sunday (almost) that the backup copy job failed: Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval, Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval.
This shouldn't be the case provided you're on v8 at least.
BTobbe wrote:Another issue that I think might be related to this is that everytime a backup copy job fails, it creates a .vib file with the normal name for that name with the size of 30 844kb and I'm guessing this is because it failed.
Right, this is a placeholder for the restore point, which is not created anymore in v9 in such cases.
BTobbe
Influencer

Post by BTobbe »

Hi Foggy, late reply but we are on 8.0.0.2084 and getting these errors.

About the placeholder restore point, I understood that it comes from that, but will the job copy that restore point as well the next day? Or will that days restore point be missing on the backup copy repo?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

BTobbe wrote:Hi Foggy, late reply but we are on 8.0.0.2084 and getting these errors.
Then I recommend contacting technical support for verification.
BTobbe wrote:About the placeholder restore point, I understood that it comes from that, but will the job copy that restore point as well the next day? Or will that days restore point be missing on the backup copy repo?
These files will be subjected to backup copy job retention.
BTobbe
Influencer

Post by BTobbe »

So I was in contact with support and they contradict what you say. They say that this error will not be removeable if you have running backup jobs on the weekend. I don't really understand why this is the case as mail errors that aren't supposed to be errors is quite annoying as then you might miss an actual error because you just think it's a non issue.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We'd appreciate if you provide us with the support ticket number, so that we can check the case internally before making any statements. Thanks.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

[MERGED] Problem with Backup Copy schedule

Post by Moebius »

I have a group of few but large VMs that I backup to disk daily and to tape over the weekend.
I must skip the backup on Sundays (with "exclude days...") because the relevant backup to tape takes more than 24 hours, and the disk backup would stop the tape backup (a well known problem).

Apart from missing a restore point, another annoyance comes from the daily backup copy. Once a week it fails saying "Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval", which is expected since there is no restore point from Sunday.

I tried disabling the data transfer in the Schedule window on Sunday hoping to stop getting the error, but it didn't help. It appears this option only disables the data transfer itself, but does not prevent the backup copy job from looking for a restore point on that day.

Other than scheduling a powershell command to disable the whole job, is there another way to really pause the job on selected days?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Lucio, using PowerShell script mentioned on the first page of this thread is the recommended workaround.
mleon
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Leon

Post by mleon »

I have been looking for a way to do this as well and didnt even think about powershell.. Thanks!
davidburke84
Influencer
Full Name: David

Post by davidburke84 »

foggy wrote:Hi Lucio, using PowerShell script mentioned on the first page of this thread is the recommended workaround.
I get why it comes up as a failed job, but this fix truly a "workaround."

Foggy - you said that the PowerShell script is the recommended workaround. Does this imply that Veeam will have a permanent fix some day? It seems very janky to run a script to disable a copy job and reenable it a few days later. How do you explain this to an auditor? "Oh, if I don't setup this custom PowerShell script on my backup it comes up as failed when it's actually not..." Furthermore, it's working as it's supposed to since it sees no new restore points and there is nothing to copy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

David, as mentioned above, starting from v8 the job shouldn't fail in this case, i.e. there shouldn't be any error messages, just a warning or informational one, I believe. If you see the opposite behavior, it's time to contact technical support.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Alexander, apparently the support doesn't agree with you:
BTobbe wrote:So I was in contact with support and they contradict what you say. They say that this error will not be removeable if you have running backup jobs on the weekend. I don't really understand why this is the case as mail errors that aren't supposed to be errors is quite annoying as then you might miss an actual error because you just think it's a non issue.
Alexander, what you write is also in contrast with what I am seeing. I am at v9 and I get a "Failed" message regularly.
Or should I say, I used to get, until I implemented that Powershell script. But I agree with David, it's a workaround and it's far from a satisfactory solution. How about fixing it in a proper way?
davidburke84
Influencer
Full Name: David

Post by davidburke84 »

foggy wrote:David, as mentioned above, starting from v8 the job shouldn't fail in this case, i.e. there shouldn't be any error messages, just a warning or informational one, I believe. If you see the opposite behavior, it's time to contact technical support.
OK, now I'm confused. I did put in a case and was pointed to this forum post. I'm getting conflicting data now....

My case is 01981779
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, as mentioned above, this was fixed, so generally there shouldn't be any error messages in this case. However, there're corner cases where failure is still possible in similar scenario. For example, if the source job was started but didn't create any valid restore point to copy for some reason. Most likely you're experiencing something like this.
Ysoba
Novice

Post by Ysoba »

Hello, you're saying that this behavior was fixed, but it has been fixed in V9 or V8 ?
Because we are in V8 and still have this problem. Our Backup job run from Monday to Friday, and the Monday we have error from the Backupcopy job:

04/12/2016 02:55:40 :: No up-to-date restore points available
05/12/2016 02:55:08 :: Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval
05/12/2016 02:55:08 :: Processing finished with errors at 05/12/2016 02:55:08
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It was fixed back in v8, however, as mentioned above, still can show up in some specific cases. It is recommended to contact support for verification.
mding83
Lurker

[MERGED] Backup Copy interval

Post by mding83 »

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone know how to work around this issue;
User has a Backup Copy job set to copy to a external USB drive. Its set to create 1 copy per day and is scheduled for weekdays business hours only.
The problem is the user physically removes the USB drive on the weekends and so they will get an error email on the weekend from this job. Obviously this job is still trying to create a copy on the weekend, probably due to the copy interval setting being set to "per day", but there are no options to specify days of the week for this to run.
The schedule setting I assume won't stop a backup copy job being started?
Are there ways around this?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please review this thread for the hints. Thanks!