craig.anderson wrote:I've got this working on my RS812+ Synologies (which use x86 architecture) but it does not work on on my D213's (the repository can be setup but the backup jobs fail)
One issue I have though is that the capacity/free space always reports as 8388608.0 TB (quite obviously this is not correct)
It doesn't hinder my backups but it would be nice if Veeam were aware oif the remaining backup capacity.
Anybody have any ideas on this?
I have a support case open with Veeam at the moment related to this. I have a Synology DS1513+ and using Veeam Backup & Replication treating the Synology NAS as a Linux server so I can use vPower NFS etc. I also noticed that it was reporting 8388608.0TB (which, just out of interest, if you expand it out to bytes, is equivalent to one binary zero followed by 63 binary 1's, which would be the largest 64-bit signed-integer number possible...). Anyway, during troubleshooting with the Veeam support guy, he noticed that the logfile Util.VolumesHostDiscover.log had an entry that said the following (sorry about the lack of line breaks, the log lines are really really long, I've added a carriage return between lines):
- Code: Select all
[01.02.2014 04:32:33] <01> Error /bin/df -P -x vmfs returned non-zero code\n - /bin/df: invalid option -- x\nBusyBox v1.16.1 (2013-11-06 05:22:56 CST) multi-call binary.\n\nUsage: df [-Pkmh] [FILESYSTEM]...\n\nPrint filesystem usage statistics\n\nOptions:\n -P POSIX output format\n -k 1024-byte blocks (default)\n -m 1M-byte blocks\n -h Human readable (e.g. 1K 243M 2G)\n at Veeam.Backup.EsxManager.XmlCommandBuilder.ValidateFeedback(String parData)
[01.02.2014 04:32:33] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.EsxManager.XmlCommandBuilder.ValidateFeedbackNoErrorXmlException(String parData)
What is happening here is that the VolumesHostDiscover module of Veeam Backup is trying to issue the command "/bin/df -P -x vmfs", but the BusyBox implementation of Linux used on my Synology NAS (and probably all of them) does not support the -x command, which tells it to exclude from the df listing all filesystems of type 'vmfs'. What Veeam sees is the "usage" reply from the df command, which obviously doesn't make sense to it.
I tweaked the perl script that sends this df with the -x option, and simply removed the text "-x vmfs" then saved the perl script and tar'd up the veeam_soap.tar package and put it back in the Veeam folder on my server. Now if I Rescan that repository, I see the proper size reported. There was no risk to me tweaking the script because my NAS doesn't have any VMFS filesystems on it anyway. I can only guess that when VolumesHostDiscover (the module that populates dialog boxes with your repository information, size, free space left etc) receives the wrong response back from BusyBox's df, it results in that spurious terabyte disk size.
We still haven't resolved the main issue I'm having with backing up to the NAS as a Linux server, and in actual fact this issue with df had absolutely nothing to do with the problem... I'm glad I looked into it, because I was all ready to accept Veeam Support's diagnosis that it was a problem with the df command. But having put a workaround in place by tweaking the script to remove "-x vmfs", I have proven that this isn't the cause.