Backups to Synology NAS

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Backups to Synology NAS

Veeam Logoby bdwill » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:57 pm

I spent some time trying to get this to work and hit a speed bump. Here's the error I'm getting when trying to backup:

Code: Select all
4/15/2014 2:38:01 AM :: Error: scp: /volume1/VEEAM/Linux/Linux.vbm: set mode: Operation not permitted

I added the admin credentials for the Synology but I don't have elevate to root checked (subsequently I don't have automatically add account to suoders checked). Is this necessary? Also, the credentials work when populating the storage and directories on the repository.When I do check the box for "elevate non-root," I get the timeout that avit previously described.

Error    Timed out waiting for operation "(cd /tmp && perl veeam_soap{random-hex-chars}.pl -d -c -l lib{random-hex-chars} -e /tmp/veeam_error{random-hex-chars} 2>> /tmp/veeam_error{random-hex-chars}) || cat /tmp/veeam_error{random-hex-chars} 2>&1", timeout: 100000 ms   at Veeam.Backup.Common.CBackgroundFunctionRunner.Run(Function function, Form splashForm, Int32 minShowTime)

Opened case # 550935
@bdwill
New Orleans VMUG Leader
vExpert 2012, VCP5-DV
bdwill
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Brandon

Veeam Logoby avit » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 pm

bdwill wrote:I spent some time trying to get this to work and hit a speed bump. Here's the error I'm getting when trying to backup:

4/15/2014 2:38:01 AM :: Error: scp: /volume1/VEEAM/Linux/Linux.vbm: set mode: Operation not permitted

I added the admin credentials for the Synology but I don't have elevate to root checked (subsequently I don't have automatically add account to suoders checked). Is this necessary? Also, the credentials work when populating the storage and directories on the repository.When I do check the box for "elevate non-root," I get the timeout that avit previously described.

Error    Timed out waiting for operation "(cd /tmp && perl veeam_soap{random-hex-chars}.pl -d -c -l lib{random-hex-chars} -e /tmp/veeam_error{random-hex-chars} 2>> /tmp/veeam_error{random-hex-chars}) || cat /tmp/veeam_error{random-hex-chars} 2>&1", timeout: 100000 ms   at Veeam.Backup.Common.CBackgroundFunctionRunner.Run(Function function, Form splashForm, Int32 minShowTime)

Opened case # 550935

Hi bdwill, that's a shame that you're getting that error... hmm... it does seem like a permissions thing, doesn't it. Did you check the ownership of the folder in question? (/volume1/VEEAM/Linux etc etc) ... also I made some changes ages ago (which didn't fix my problem at the time, but you never know, I may have ended up suffering the Operation Not Permitted issue) -- to do with the permissions of the .ssh folder - it was just one of those things I found while desperately Googling for solutions, but I don't remember exactly what it was - but basically there is a hidden folder called ".ssh" in the root of your home folder, i.e. for the Synology 'admin' user this would be /volume1/homes/admin. My .ssh folder has the following permissions:
drwxr--r--    2 admin    users         4096 Feb  4 23:39 .ssh

And the contents of the folder:
MYV2-NAS-001> ls -la
drwxr--r--    2 admin    users         4096 Feb  4 23:39 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 admin    users         4096 Apr 14 12:54 ..
-rwxr--r--    1 admin    users          394 Feb  4 23:39 known_hosts

Just in case that helps. Also, note that I am backing up to this folder: /volume1/homes/admin/veeam_backups ... the permissions, bizarrely, are actually rwxrwxrwx, I'm not sure if I changed that out of desperation also:
MYV2-NAS-001> ls -la
drwxrwxrwx    4 admin    users         4096 Apr  8 14:15 veeam_backups

But I notice that the subfolders the Veeam itself has created below that, also have rwxrwxrwx permissions, and those folders would have been created by Veeam itself, so I'm assuming the veeam_backup folder's permissions are correct.

Anyway, have a good look at all the permissions, post them here, and maybe let us know what you come back with. The other really good source of digging into these errors (and the way we found the "df" issue in Mount.pm within veeam_soap.tar) was trawling through the logs. The logs will be huge so what I'd recommend you do is zip up your existing logs, nuke the log files and run the backup again, and that way you'll have way less stuff to trawl through. I found the "df" errors within the following path: logfilepath/This server/VeeamShell.log - so in theory that'll be where you see other Linuxy/NAS related errors.

Let's keep digging! Veeam is surprisingly easy to troubleshoot because it's so good with logging everything. And always let me know if there's anything I can do to help - I'm always happy to dig through my setup and compare settings, permissions, etc. I think ultimately it would be nice to build a sticky post that outlines the Must-haves for getting this setup to work.... i.e. Synology NAS with x86 processor, latest DSM version, Veeam 7.x patch #3, latest Perl version, tweak permission X, etc. Ultimately it would be nice if Veeam would be able to alter Mount.pm so that it detects the "Incorrect usage" response that comes back from BusyBox's ash shell's "df" command, etc and alters its behaviour accordingly. The danger is that the "-x vmfs" command was obviously put there for a reason, so me just removing it for my purposes is OK but adding it as a blanket feature would require some safeguards.

Anyway let me know what you come up with on the above....
avit
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: AVIT Engineer VAVA II

Veeam Logoby bramsd » Thu May 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi,

I had the same error.
I solve this by changing the ownership of the folder on the Syno with the user defined in the proxy.

Hope that can help the person who is reading this message.

Didier
bramsd
Lurker

Full Name: Didier Brams

Veeam Logoby Mathieu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:47 am

Can someone please post a working version of veeam_soap.tar with the modification to correctly read the free space of a synology NAS.
I'm not getting it to work. Changing the Mount.pm shouldn't be the problem but maybe at tar'ing againg (using 7 zip) something goes wrong on windows.....
Mathieu
Novice

Full Name: Mathieu

Veeam Logoby thijsm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:46 pm 2 people like this post

I post this because it might be useful for some people
Installed veaam transport agent on Synlogy DS415p (DSM 5.0-4493 Update 3) in a few steps.

1. Create shared folder for veeam repository.
2. Install Perl, available in package center.
3. enable ssh service > control panel > system >terminal & snmp
4. enable user home service > control panel > user > Advanced > turn on enable user home service.
Ready, veeam backup will now run without any problems

You still need to adjust veeam_soap.tar to see the correct disk space
hopefully someone can post a short how to, i have not don this jet, don't know how to tar/untar on a windows box.

Be careful if you open ssh.
the default admin account and password is also the password for the root account, default ssh access only works for admin and root account.
thijsm
Lurker

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mathijs B

Veeam Logoby d.lansinklesscher » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:09 pm

This solution works great on both Synology and Qnap devices. If you want to get it to work on a Qnap there's some extra steps. See:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 56#p430156

@Veeam: Is there any chance that the veeam_soap.tar wil be updated in one of the next releases to display the correct free-space?
d.lansinklesscher
Service Provider

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dennis Lansink

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:32 pm

@Dennis let me check first if this change does not impact some other functionality.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2409 times

Veeam Logoby mcdonaldb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm

If using the Synology as a Repository, is this in theory faster than mapping ISCSI LUN from Synology to windows Veeam backup server? Also, what about copy job's/archive, could you use the usb port on the synology for this to copy straight from nas to usb, or is this still going to move through the network?
mcdonaldb
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian McDonald

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 am

Hi Brian,

iSCSI LUN mapped to a Windows server is a preferred way to expose your Synology box to the Veeam backup server, as it is more reliable and sometimes it can give you better performance rates during synthetic full and transform operations. As regards your second question, then if you attach it to the backup server and will be able to see it as a regular disk, then the traffic will go over the USB connection to your Synology NAS, not sure it will provide better rates though... need to test this configuration first.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby d.lansinklesscher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Another issue that I have come across at least on a Qnap is that after a while the ramdisk of the nas runs out of diskspace. This probably is because of logs.

As a workaround I scheduled a weekly reboot.

Maybe Veeam can also address this by putting the logs on persistent storage off the nas.
d.lansinklesscher
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:23 pm

I'm not sure that I fully understand the issue - do you say that Veeam logs are cleaned up when you reboot the device?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby d.lansinklesscher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Yes, because it is a ramdisk.
d.lansinklesscher
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:20 pm

Can you elaborate on how you're using a ramdisk of given device? Also, what logs you're talking about? The actual screenshots might be helpful in this case. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby d.lansinklesscher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/ram0 151.1M 132.9M 18.1M 88% /
devtmpfs 487.9M 4.0k 487.9M 0% /dev
tmpfs 64.0M 22.7M 41.3M 35% /tmp
/dev/md9 509.5M 107.7M 401.8M 21% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
/dev/md0 10.8T 7.3T 3.5T 67% /share/MD0_DATA
/dev/md13 371.0M 253.8M 117.2M 68% /mnt/ext
tmpfs 32.0M 0 32.0M 0% /.eaccelerator.tmp

As you can see above, on a Qnap the filesystem is running on a ramdisk, this includes /var/log where Veeam stores it's job logs. Because this disk is pretty small it fills up easily. Therefore I think it would be better to put these logs in a location where:
-there is more space
-logs’s don’t get erased after a reboot

Maybe it’s an idea to put them in the same place as the created repository?
d.lansinklesscher
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Thanks for the output. I'm not a Linux guru, but I believe there should be a possibility to redirect /var/logs folder to any other disk in the Sinology config, right?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication