Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hannisch
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sven Hannisch

Backups with storage based snapshots (Nimble) fails

Post by hannisch »

Hi all,

I try to backup with storage based snapshots enabled. But it fails. I got this error message:

Failed to create processing task for VM DEWSTest01 Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from storage snapshot, and the option to failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled

Normal backups works (san mode) Nimble Storage is added to the veeam Storage infrastructure.

When I create a snapshot directly from the veeam storage infrastructure gui, the snapshot will be created, but I get this error message:

Failed to obtain list of VMs on LUN Temp-SS from snapshot Temp-SS of volume Temp Error: There is no initiators available.

Any ideas ?

b/r

Sven

nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Backups with storage based snapshots (Nimble) fails

Post by nielsengelen »

Did you connect the proxy correctly to the Nimble device? I'm guessing the iSCSI initiator isn't setup correct.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
hannisch
Enthusiast

Post by hannisch »

San Mode backups are working with this proxy, so I think the iSCSI initiator configuration is OK.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Support should be able to identify if it is actually OK. Meanwhile you can check all the prerequisites once again.
hannisch
Enthusiast

Post by hannisch »

I checked all prequisites. Everything is fine.
Are there special prequisites from nimble site ?
Nimble OS is running on 3.7.
I use the std. microsoft mpio. (no nimble software is installed) This shouldn´t be the problem because san based backups are working.
I use the manual ISCSI settings modein the Nimble. Mgmt. Subnet is Mgmt only and resists in the same subnet than the veeam Server, which is the veeam proxy, too. The ISCSI subnet is data only and separated from the mgmt. net. The support has no solution till now.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ask your engineer to review the case #02086625. According to QA, this is a known issue that is planned for addressing in Update 3. As a workaround, you can try to switch iSCSI Host Connection Method on the storage to 'Auto'.
hannisch
Enthusiast

Post by hannisch »

Thanks a lot for the Info. I informed my Engineer.
rhys.hammond
Veeam Software
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Rhys Hammond

Post by rhys.hammond »

Hey, we ran into this issue as well, unfortunately, the nimble SAN was already set to 'iSCSI Host Connection Method - Automatic (enable rebalancing)'.
Sounds like we need to open a support case to continue troubleshooting or wait for update 3?
Veeam Certified Architect | Author of http://rhyshammond.com | Veeam Vanguard | vExpert
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r »

Can you create a new backup job that only creates a Nimble snapshot? If you are have a snapshot schedule running independently of Veeam, can Veeam browse those SAN snapshots ok? Is there a reason for not using NCM. It does set a bunch of other settings on the Windows server to help improve iSCSI connectivity such as timeout values and checks for recommended windows hot fixes.

Nimble firmware 3.7 should be fine, I run the same myself without any issues. Supported firmware is from 2.3.x

Cheers,

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
rhys.hammond
Veeam Software

Post by rhys.hammond »

Created a new job and didn't enable 'failover to standard backup'. Still no luck

From memory we could view existing snapshots that are created by the Nimble schedule independent of Veeam, Veaam is unable to find which VMs exist on the snapshots. (90% certain but could be wrong)

iSCSI connections were configured using NCM.

P.s shouldn't you be packing for VeeamON not posting on forums
Veeam Certified Architect | Author of http://rhyshammond.com | Veeam Vanguard | vExpert
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Post by ian0x0r »

Just reading this https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 is it possible port 5392 is blocked?
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
hannisch
Enthusiast

Post by hannisch » 1 person likes this post

I configured a discovery address in the iSCSI subnet and it works. iSCSI configuration mode is still set to manual mode.

Thanks a lot to Ekaterina my engineer and foggy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Rhys, yes, please open a case for closer investigation. Looks like some other issue.
rhys.hammond
Veeam Software

Post by rhys.hammond »

So I just heard from the Veeam customer that has been experiencing this issue and it's now working. So far the only information I have is 'After a complete re-setup of storage integration it is now working'.
I'll post when I know more information if it was a particular setting change or literally just removing the Nimble and re-adding it resolved it. Either way, a good result enabling backup for storage snapshots!!! :D
cbrasga
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cazi Brasga

Post by cbrasga »

hannisch wrote:San Mode backups are working with this proxy, so I think the iSCSI initiator configuration is OK.
Please note: Just because you can perform Direct SAN backups does not necessarily mean the config is correct. Nimble Storage allows you to allow iSCSI devices access to the Volume and Snapshots individually. So if you only provide access to the volume, which is the recommended instructions for just Direct SAN backup, they won't be able to see the snapshots which is perfectly fine for Direct SAN backups, since they don't need to. If you have the SAN integration then you need to allow both volume and snapshot access for the backup proxy.
coolsport00
Veeam Legend
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Shane Williford

Post by coolsport00 »

I have Nimbles (CS500, f/w: 3.7x) integrated into my VB&R server (v9.5 U2) & have this issue as well. Now, though I get this error, I have my jobs configured to 'retry' after a failure up to 3 times. At the 2nd attempt to b/u my VMs, the jobs will run successfully. This error occurs occasionally... not for all my b/u jobs, and not consistently with the same b/u job. It's a sporadic/occasional issue, but as mentioned... will eventually run successfully. Anyone get an answer from Veeam support? I'm going to open a case as well. Curious to hear about others' experience & solution on this issue.

Regards.

Shane
Shane Williford
Systems Architect

Veeam Legend | Veeam Architect (VMCA) | VUG KC Leader
VMware VCAP/VCP | VMware vExpert 2011-22
Twitter: @coolsport00