Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Bandwidth Throttling ( specific to backup copy jobs )

Post by kaboomza »

Hi there,

I have a question, if I set a bandwidth throttling limit within the veeam console between repositories for backup copy jobs, does that limit both the read and transfer speeds entirely or just the transfer speed?. I don't necessarily want to limit my read speed when jobs are running but would like to limit the transfer speed, let me know, please?

Any suggestions on what would be a good way of identifying a good bandwidth limit number? Can I look at a job's "Processing Rate" and use a much lower number based on that for example?

I would also like to know, if I am setting up a limit specific to backup copy jobs, the documentation states it should be between source and target backup repo, so in this case because the repo's are on windows machines added to the veeam console I need to limit the bandwidth between the 2 windows server IP's that the repos are on, correct?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Bandwidth Throttling ( specific to backup copy jobs )

Post by veremin »

I don't necessarily want to limit my read speed when jobs are running but would like to limit the transfer speed, let me know, please?
The traffic will be throttled between source and target repositories or WAN Accelerators (if used), the read speed will stay unaffected.
Any suggestions on what would be a good way of identifying a good bandwidth limit number?
It depends on your requirements - how much bandwidth you want for a backup copy job to max out.
limit the bandwidth between the 2 windows server IP's that the repos are on, correct?
Correct.

Thanks!
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Post by kaboomza »

Thanks for the feedback veremin.

Let me ask this, since I'm limiting bandwidth based on the IP's, technically even if I'm running a normal backup job that possibly uses those IP's I am limiting other stuff as well no? if my repositories are on servers that are also acting as proxies and I'm limiting the IP's then I'm limiting more than just the backup copy job
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Let me ask this, since I'm limiting bandwidth based on the IP's, technically even if I'm running a normal backup job that possibly uses those IP's I am limiting other stuff as well no?
Only if components participating in backup activity (source proxy and target repository) have an IP addresses from throttled range. Thanks!