Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eric@ucs
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Cagle

Best method to replicate between sites?

Post by eric@ucs »

I am running VBR on a Windows Server at 5 separate sites. Each VBR backs up the local machines, all VMs, at its respective site. Each site is connected by at least a 10G WAN link. I currently have each VBR install backing up its configuration to an alternate site's backup repository. My question is what is the best "built-in" method within VBR to sync the backed up data to an alternate site? I do not have a true DR site, I simply want to continuously keep an off-site copy of every site at any other site. I would think this would be built into the console, but I have yet to find a straightforward way to accomplish this.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Best method to replicate between sites?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Eric

Welcome to the R&D forums. I see three options:

- Copy your backups to a backup storage at another location —> Backup Copy Job
If you want to go with this copy jobs, you should consolidate all backup jobs on one single backup server to manage the proxies and repositories at each location.
A single repository should only be managed by a single VBR server and not be added to multiple VBR server.
What sort of repositories do you have currently installed? I assume it‘s not a hardened repository. I‘m asking because you won‘t have protection against ransomware without airgapped or immutable backup storages.

- Replicate your VMs to a second location —> Replica Job
Can be enabled additionally to the backup copy jobs. In case of a hypervisor failure, just start the replicas in another location.

- Configure a SOBR and copy your backups to immutable object storage —> capacity tier offload
In my opinion the best option, because you will have immutable copies of your backup.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software