Best Practice for Backing Up Linux VMs

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Best Practice for Backing Up Linux VMs

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 pm

The best practice is to use VMware Tools Quiescence with pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts, please review the thread above. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1013 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] is vss better than prefreez script?

Veeam Logoby verre » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi everybody, one of my clients has asked me a question about application consistency on linux servers. I told him how veeam is strong thanks to his patented aaip technology on microsoft vss application...and he asked me: and what about linux servers? Therefore I told him that it is necessary to freeze the application with a pre-backup script (I told him also the news about v8) but there are 2 questions that puzzled me:
- what is the role of vmware tools inside linux servers? Are they necessary to execute a pre-backup script?
- is it correct to claim that a transactional application (for example oracle) works better on windows machine due to the presence of vss and aaip during backup, whereas the linux version need to freeze before a backup?

thank you
verre
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Veeam Logoby FTBZ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm 1 person likes this post

I reopen this old thread because I've an additional question related to the information here. What does exactly the function "Enable application-aware processing" when used on a Linux VM?

I noticed that the SSH connection comes AFTER that the virtual machine snapshot has been done:

• So why connecting to SSH if the snapshot was already made?
  • The only quiescence was made by the VMware Tools and scripts if configured?
  • SSH connexion does nothing to do a better consistence, correct ?

Thanks!
FTBZ
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:15 pm

So why connecting to SSH if the snapshot was already made?
That's only one connection of two that are established. The first one is not displayed in session and is used to perform AAIP (pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts, Oracle)
The only quiescence was made by the VMware Tools and scripts if configured?
If network is not available then VBR can failover to VIX mode. If network connection is available then quiscence is performed via the first ssh connection (not displayed in session).
SSH connexion does nothing to do a better consistence, correct ?
The connection that you can see in session is done to perform indexing and/or collecting data about filesystems' mount points (used for FLR).

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Liked: 225 times

Veeam Logoby FTBZ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:46 pm

PTide wrote:That's only one connection of two that are established. The first one is not displayed in session and is used to perform AAIP (pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts, Oracle)

Okay, when the log says "Running pre-freeze script..." it's through the first SSH connection and the VMware Tools are not used?

There is a tech note somewhere that give the detailed steps done by SSH on the first connection?

Thanks for the information again.
FTBZ
Influencer

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:29 am 1 person likes this post

Okay, when the log says "Running pre-freeze script..." it's through the first SSH connection and the VMware Tools are not used?

Correct, scripts are performed via ssh connection, however VMware Tools are used to obtain guest's IP address to connect to.

There is a tech note somewhere that give the detailed steps done by SSH on the first connection?

There is no such note, sorry.
PTide
Product Manager

Veeam Logoby FTBZ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks you very much.
FTBZ
Influencer

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:07 am

erth111 wrote:Why isn't it enabled by default then?

Yes, that's the question I have a swell that I still don't understand.

Perhaps anyone here can comments about this reasoning behind the option is not checked ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 17 times

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:40 am

Hi,

Perhaps anyone here can comments about this reasoning behind the option is not checked ?
Vitaly already did.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

[MERGED] Linux VMware tools and vmsync driver?

Veeam Logoby JoshuaPostSAMC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:50 pm

I did a manual install of VMware Tools 10.1 on a Redhat Linux VM today. Most of our VMs are Windows, so this was a newer experience for me, and in the past when I have done it I just took all defaults.
I noticed a prompt asking if I wanted to enable vmsync which was set to No by default. What is the impact of Veeam by not having this? These VMs were previously being backed up by Veeam but had no tools installed, and I got approval from the vendor to install it, but want to make sure I'm getting proper backups.

"The VMware FileSystem Sync Driver (vmsync) allows external third-party backup software that is integrated with vSphere to create backups of the virtual machine. Do you wish to enable this feature? [no]"

Sure sounds like something I would want enabled, but wanted to check here first.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Enthusiast

Liked: 13 times

Re: Linux VMware tools and vmsync driver?

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Joshua,

The best practice to use VMWare Tools Quiescence with pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts.
Review this thread above for additional information.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication