Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Goraek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam

Best practice guide in setting up VBR6.1?

Post by Goraek »

Hello,

Do you guys have a best practice guide to install and configure backup and replication 6.1?
Setting up in conjunction with VC?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best practice guide in setting up VBR6.1?

Post by foggy »

Hello, Adam. We do not have a best practices document so I would advise first to look through the Deployment Scenarios section of the product user guide and use search on this forum for what other customers do while deploying Veeam B&R.

Regarding your second question, please consider this topic.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In addition to this, I would suggest to look through our sticky F.A.Q. as most of the commonly asked questions have already been covered there.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
it depends on your network connection also in conjunction to Veeam backup Server, vCenter and their connections to the ESX Hosts, Repositories and your proxies and keep in mind that you are in a pure virtual machines or a mixed between physical and virtual because this will determined the Backup Mode of you are going with.

In my experience with Veeam, the famous topic of veeam configuration is via Direct SAN Access. This configuration will require your proxy as a Physical Servers connected directly to your SAN Fabric. I have configured the Virtual Proxy as a Direct SAN Access but I didn't get best performance. When I changed to a HotAdd mode, I have seen huge difference in Processing Rate of backup a Job with more than 7 VMs.

Have a look on the attached diagram, it may help you.

waldo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: simon john waldron

Best Practice Guide needed & networking advice?

Post by waldo »

[merged]

Hi There

I have recently purchased the Veeam B&R Enterprise Edition. Can anyone post up a Best Practices guide for the implementation of the Veeam environment? Im specifically interested in getting the max performance from the networking side of things.

We have 1 physical veeam server with all the Veeam components installed on it. This server has a dedicated nic connection via iSCSI initiator to our Dell EqualLogic SAN. I want VM backups to be stored on a repository on a sepearte physical windows server (NAS). Does the NAS server also need a connection to the EqualLogic via iSCSI initiator?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Simon, please see recommendations above. Also, if you are interested in optimizing network traffic, review these threads: Pin Backup jobs to 1 nic and force network traffic btw proxy and repository to nic.

Regarding your second question, no, the connection between backup repository and the primary storage is not required.