Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itm@mcdonald
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Bryan

Best Practice Replica Proxies

Post by itm@mcdonald »

I am in the ongoing process of learning how VEEAM works having taken over an existing system and never having set one up.

One of our proxies failed and I have replaced with a new one as the recovery process seemed over the top for a proxy.

Two questions out of that:

1. I have rescanned the servers and the results show the new server in the output, but when I go into a job I do not see it as a choice for the proxies to be used by that job. What else do In need to do?

2. I noticed that the Backup jobs can choose any of the available three proxies but the Replica jobs are all locked into one of the three proxies. Is that normal or should they have free range as well?

We have around 15 servers we backup and replicate

cheers
Simon
itm@mcdonald
Novice

Re: Best Practice Replica Proxies

Post by itm@mcdonald »

OK have this partially sorted - opened my eyes basically. Had only added the server as a WIndows server have now added it to the Proxy Servers.

As to the replicas what I am seeing is on most jobs the Source Proxy is 1 + 2 and the destination is 3 - would that be correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hello, Simon. If automatic proxy selection algorithm is enabled (default), then the most optimal (in terms of data transfer performance) proxy is selected. Hard to say without knowing details of your setup, but basically, it depends on the transport mode that is used by proxies to retrieve/populate VM data. My assumption is that you have virtual proxies utilizing hotadd and the third one resides on the target host/datastore, so has access to it for hotadd to be used.
itm@mcdonald
Novice

Post by itm@mcdonald »

Hi Foggy
Thanks for that description. That scenario seems to be exactly what we have - so all good.