Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GoldCoin
Lurker
Liked: never

Best Practices - 3 2 1 Backups + Immutability

Post by GoldCoin »

Hello,

We are small company and currently have 7 TB of data that we are backing up. Our main job (file server) is currently set for 30 days retention policy. We are doing backups every hour (incremental) from 8am-5pm with a synthetic full on Saturdays. Our SOBR is set to move all 15 days or older backups to BackBlaze with immutability enables. Hence, we are keeping newer data in our NAS and older data in BackBlaze. Our SOBR is not copying data as it is backed up; it is just moving it 15 days and older data.

I was thinking maybe to have it the other way around and store newer data in BackBlaze and older data in the NAS for immutability purposes. However, I think it might not be ideal in case we need to do a restore since it will take a long time to get downloaded from BackBlaze.

Do you have any piece of advise for this scenario? What would you recommend doing?

Thanks a lot!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1409 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Best Practices - 3 2 1 Backups + Immutability

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I would just enable the copy in addition to the move at the Capacity Tier policy.
That way you have most actual backups as well made immutable and the cost is very low for this (space for 15 additional incrementals).