Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gollem
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Erik E.

Best practise remote (with slow wan link) and local backup

Post by gollem »

Goodmorning,

We are planning to leave tape backups and replace it with veeam, i'm wondering what you are thinking which is best practise for our 2 situation:

We have 3 locations,
Location A: 2mbit/2mbit data connection
Location B: 8mbit/8mbit data connection
Location C: 100mbit/100mbit data connection

The current situation:

Location A:
- 5 vsphere servers, 30 guests, central FC storage (1.5TB used)
- readynas 3200 with 12TB storage to hold backups
- Backup offsite to tape

Location B:
- 2 vsphere servers, 2 guests running on 1 machine
- veeam is creating a replica from server 1 onto server 2
- backup to readynass on siteA
- current backup cannot be done daily, total transfer takes about 12 hours, which does not fit into the maintenance window. remote backup is now done only at the weekend.

Location C:
- empty

I'm quite happy with location A, but when i lose the serverroom recovery might be a bit chalanging, therefor i want to set something up on Location C which we can use for DR purposes.

1. What would be the best option to cover Location B, so we are able to do fast local recovery but also in case of DR a workable sollution? (local nas? remote nas? remote replica? local replica? etc)

2. What would be needed on Location C to cover multiple locations? (extra vsphere servers, nas to store data etc.)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best practise remote (with slow wan link) and local back

Post by foggy »

gollem wrote:1. What would be the best option to cover Location B, so we are able to do fast local recovery but also in case of DR a workable sollution? (local nas? remote nas? remote replica? local replica? etc)
Best practice is to have local backups for fast file-level restores and offsite replica for fast failover in case of DR (or at least offsite backups if your RTO allows you to wait for full VM restore - in this case you can use some external tool to synchronize your local backups offsite; there are plenty existing topics on this forum about offsite replication of backups using third-party software and the couple of the most recent ones are: Best backup setup for mirroring backup respository and v6 - How to have a local and off-site backup copy?).
gollem wrote:2. What would be needed on Location C to cover multiple locations? (extra vsphere servers, nas to store data etc.)
Assuming you are going to have both offsite backups and replicas, you need at least NAS to store backups and vSphere environment to hold all the replica VMs (don't forget that proxy server on the target site is also required for optimal replication performance).