Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bhendin
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ben H

Re: Best strategy for fault tolerance with failed backups.

Post by bhendin »

chrisdearden wrote: Independant discs can't be part of the snapshot , so dont get backed up.
Ok - but the independent disks ARE part of the backup. So what is the product solution for validating that independent disks (most data drives) backups are good?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I I have a doubt we are talking here about two different things, and using the same term "independent"...

In VMware terms, an independent disk by definition cannot be snapshotted, thus it cannot be protected by any software that uses VMware VADP libraries, like Veeam. So this disk is NOT in the backup set. If you want to backup this disk you need to configure it to not be independent so Veeam can grab it. After it is protected, everything as been said in this thread will also apply to this disk.

If you still want to keep the disk independent (but then I'd ask why you want, as the only difference is exactly the possibility to snapshot it...) you may want to try different solutions like Veeam endpoint Backup, that being a software working inside the Guest OS, doesn't care of the independent option.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Post by bg.ranken »

Just a quick thought, perhaps he may have been talking about a raw device mapping instead of an independent disk? I believe that dellock6 is correct though in that independent disks will not be backed up by Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

bhendin wrote:Can you confirm the last (current) open question that SureBackup is going to validate all disks in the backup, not just the OS disk?
Yes, it will validate all disks.