Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

best way to transfer veeam to offsite

Post by frankive »

Let's say I want Asigra or Ahsay to transfer the veeam store off-site.
What would be the best setup? Incremental forever? How long can the chain be?
We are talking about appx. 3TB data.
I'm afraid if there is small changes to the large .vbk file they will start to upload 3TB again?

Anyone doing similiar things and like to share their best method?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: best way to transfer veeam to offsite

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Frank,

With Veeam B&R you can store backups offsite using Veeam Proxies and no additional software required. You will need one Veeam B&R server and two proxies connected to Veeam server one in site another offsite. After that you can add the offsite repository to your Veeam server and run a job to backup offsite.

Please take a look at this to topics:

veeam and offsite dr and backups
off-site backup ideas

Hope that this would answer your question,
Cheers.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

A little addition, I noticed that you mention two products that aimed do a cloud backup and in this case you will be glad to here that Veeam has Cloud Edition which works perfectly for cloud backup.

Another interesting part is that WAN acceleration is one of the top features upcoming with new Veeam B&R 7 - designed specifically to take backup offsite.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

frankive wrote:Let's say I want Asigra or Ahsay to transfer the veeam store off-site.
I'm afraid if there is small changes to the large .vbk file they will start to upload 3TB again?
It depends on the way these solutions work. If they work on a block level and are capable of copying changed blocks only, then it is an ideal solution for cloud backup.

Currently, Veeam B&R Cloud Edition simply copies the contents of your backup repository to a cloud storage provider so it will send the entire new full backup file to the cloud once it is created. That's why using forward incremental mode is preferred over reversed incremental as the latter produces new VBK file during each job run.
norelco
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by norelco »

I can't connect on Ahsay, but Asigra is definitely file based. If you change one block in a VBK file, Asigra will copy the entire file up to the vault so your utilisation in the vault is going to grow very quickly doing that (not to mention your bandwidth requirements).