Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Re: bind IP to restore job

Post by joergr »

OK, here are my final results. Roughly 500 Gig VM. VEEAM Server and ESXi 4.1 machine 10 GB NICs (ESXi Intel x520, VEEAM Machine Broadcom 57711). Direct Restore from Backup-Server to ESXi local Storage took nearly exactly 2 hours. Instant Recovery and doing migration to another datastore while vm turned OFF took 2 hours and 55 minutes. I monitored it the whole time via prtg and windows taks manager/ressource manager, the nfs stream never came above 40-50 MB/s but was very constant and did not vary that much while during the direct restore it varried very strong, sometime only about 10 MB/s, but sometime about 200-250 MB/s. Both speeds i find very respectable.

best regards,
Joerg
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Joerg, thank you very much - this is very, very useful information.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Thanks Anton.

To answer Trevors last question from my point of view regarding wether to take ESXi 4.1 or ESX 4.1: I would highly suggest to use ESXi 4.1 because sadly as we all know VMware will completely drop the ESX system starting from the next release, thus i´d recommend to do the migration NOW, will make much less headache when the next release of ESXi will see RTM. My guess it: The migration part from ESX 4.x to ESXi 4.x is easier than from ESX 4.x to ESXi 5.

best regards,
Joerg