Bitlooker for non-NTFS Filesystems

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Bitlooker for non-NTFS Filesystems

Veeam Logoby lightsout » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Hey All,

Just wondering if the road-map has any Bitlooker support for non NTFS filesystems? I'd really like it for ext2/3/4 for my Linux VMs & appliances. What do you think?

Thanks!
lightsout
Expert

Liked: 46 times

Re: Bitlooker for non-NTFS Filesystems

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm 2 people like this post

Hi,

Interesting coincidence as I was thinking about this myself recently. We're in the interesting situation here because NTFS can be found in roughly 90% of all virtual disks in VMware environments (and even more in Hyper-V). While the remaining 10% are split across like 10 other file systems, with all of them being somewhat equally popular. As the result, there is no single file system that is easy to justify adding support - as for any given file system, ROI for Veeam (value to the product) will be negligible.

On the other hand, adding support for each new file system requires huge amount of research, development and testing... so, I just can't justify spending resources on such functionality at this time.

Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby lightsout » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Even in my own environment, NTFS dominates, so this is a majority of the customer base for you covered by this. But next highest for me is Linux, especially with various Linux appliances from vendors (VMware, Cisco, etc). These are typically ext2/3/4 based VMs too. So it would be a nice long term thing if this was supported at some point. :)

Or in another way ;)

lightsout
Expert

Liked: 46 times

[MERGED] Guest OS exclude for Linux VM's

Veeam Logoby pirx » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi,

as far as I can see, it's not possible to exclude files or directories of Linux VM's.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

I was a bit surprised that it'S not even possible for ext3/4 formatted vDisks. Are there any plans to implement this feature?
pirx
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times

Veeam Logoby jameskilbynet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Any plans to start this with REFS as 2016 starts to become more common ?
jameskilbynet
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Kilby

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:53 pm

I doubt that as ReFS is not designed to be a "guest" file system in the first place, at least today (you cannot even boot from it). ReFS is currently a "host" (infrastructure) file system so to speak, with primary use cases being Hyper-V datastore (on Storage Spaces only) and backup repositories. You won't see Microsoft actively promoting any other use cases at this time.

I do expect ReFS to eventually replace NTFS as the primary "guest" file system, but realistically this is not going to happen any time soon - so there's no rush to add ReFS support .
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby DaveWatkins » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:05 am

Exchange 2016 has ReFS recommended for logs and databases, there are some required steps to do so but thats been said a couple of times from MS. So ReFS is going to see some uptake on clients for sure
DaveWatkins
Expert

Liked: 60 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Sure, but then there are also considerations of applicability of BitLooker to those specific workloads in the first place. For example, I bet it does not happen very often that you get your mailbox databases deleted from Exchange servers? ;)

So yes, while there will be uptake - but it is hard to expect ReFS getting anywhere close to market share of even aforementioned ext any time soon (as a guest file system).
Gostev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] VM Guest OS files/catalogs exclude

Veeam Logoby kds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello

Is Veeam B&R v9.0 support excluding directory's from Linux VM ?

Best regards,
Dmitry
kds
Novice

Liked: never

Re: VM Guest OS files/catalogs exclude

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:26 pm

No, file include/exclude is part of BitLooker which currently only supports Windows (NTFS specifically).

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 85 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: VM Guest OS files/catalogs exclude

Veeam Logoby kds » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:53 am

Thank's, Joe

Is there any other method for to exclude catalog's on Linux VM ?

Best regards,
Dmitry
kds
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:14 am

Currently you can only exclude entire VM disks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 am

Hi,

Is Veeam B&R v9.0 support excluding directory's from Linux VM ?

I'm curious about your use case, could you share some info please?
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 231 times

Veeam Logoby pirx » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm also interested in this use case. We have large Oracle/HANA (or other DB or Application) VM's where the OS and some additional files should be backed up with Veeam but the DB with a different backup tool. For Windows with SQL we can define files/directories as excludes. With Linux this is not possible right now, which make the migration to Veeam much harder.
pirx
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times

Veeam Logoby MSMSMSMSMS » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Gostev wrote:Sure, but then there are also considerations of applicability of BitLooker to those specific workloads in the first place. For example, I bet it does not happen very often that you get your mailbox databases deleted from Exchange servers? ;)
So yes, while there will be uptake - but it is hard to expect ReFS getting anywhere close to market share of even aforementioned ext any time soon (as a guest file system).

Hello Gostev,

We have a huge (for us) problem with backup of ReFS based Exchange VM's, and it seems that lack of BitLooker is to blame. We are seeing Exchange Active Full Backup sizes that are 2x times bigger than all of data in VM's combined. We have an active support case (02042104) opened, but we don't see it going in the right direction. I've also wrote a forum post (post236150.html) on that subject. Is BitLooker support for ReFS on Veeam roadmap, and if it is when can we expect it? Are there any Veeam suggested/supported workarounds that we can use to exclude backup of dirty blocks on ReFS volumes?

Best regards, MSMSMSMSMS
MSMSMSMSMS
Novice

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication