Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Block features for backup operator

Post by masonit »

Hi

In version 9 we recieved a hot fix that made it possible for a backup operator to only run quick backups from virtual machines view. That was just what we wanted. Now in version 9.5 u1 backup operator is also able to run VeeamZip job. You would think that is a good thing but for us this has shown to be a big problem. Some backup operators has mistakenly started to run "VeeamZIP to C:\Backup" and started to fill up C: (!). Of course we have clearly informed what option they should use. But I also want to remove the possibility to run VeeamZIP. Or at least "VeeamZIP to C:\Backup" because I frankly think it is a dumb option to have.

I have started a case about this but was pointed to the forum instead: 02085622

Best Regards Magnus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Block features for backup operator

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for this FR. Yes, sending backups to the drive C can, indeed, cause these issues, but shouldn't it be changed to your recent backup target? Based on this topic it should do it or do you say that some backup operators would still hit on C:\backup option by a mistake?

Thanks!
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Just tried to run a "VeeamZip..." job to E:\Backup. After that the option was changed to "VeeamZIP to E:\Backup". But it is only changed in my session. All other backup users still have C:\Backup. How can I change default location for all?
This would be a quick fix to stop risking filling c:. But what we really want is to grey out ZeeamZIP options. Can't we get a custom ui dll for this? This is urgent for us. Believe it or not, another "VeeamZIP to C:\Backup" job was started last night and almot filled C: (!#%#)

\Magnus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Magnus,

I have just checked it with our QA team, unfortunately, there is no way to change the default in a single click, as this setting is stored per each user using Veeam backup server. We do not offer any custom development, but maybe our support team can come up with a creative workaround, since this feature is not available in the product right now.

Thanks for your FR anyway!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

May be just push the new default setting to all users via local Group Policy on the backup server? I think you can set registry values with Group Policy these days?
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Gostev wrote:May be just push the new default setting to all users via local Group Policy on the backup server? I think you can set registry values with Group Policy these days?
Sure, what regkey should that be then?

\Magnus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The default setting is not exposed via reg key yet. I have asked our dev team to add this capability in the following updates. Right now the only way to change it, is to do some manipulation with Veeam backup database.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

In the end, we've made a better change in U2 - the VeeamZIP menu item with the default location will not be shown at all until a user performs VeeamZIP for the first time, selecting the required destination during this process. After that, said menu item will appear reflecting the previously selected location. Hopefully this addresses the issue somewhat - we could not add a more comprehensive fix at this stage of the update release cycle.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Sounds good Gostev! WIll this new approach work for all users? Even thoose who has previous run VeeamZip job?

1 h ago it happened again. A VeeamZip job was started and almost filled c:! But this time I really understand why it is happening. My coworkers is not to blame. It seems to only happen during evening and night when the load is high on the vbr server (server is not overloaded). They do choose quick backup but probably because of small GUI lagg VeeamZip option is still marked when they press quick backup. Then Veeam triggers both quick backup and VeeamZIp at the same time! :?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Hmm not really sure anymore that the jobs where triggered at the same time. They have starttime with 45 sec drift...

Just implemented a workaround that works. Rermoved security rights for Veeam on c:\Backup folder. Now they only get access denied.

\Masonit
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

+1 on removing the prominence of VeeamZip from vSphere client, much better to have QuickBackup as the preferred option under VM Manage tab rather than down at the bottom of the actions menu.

+1 on having the granularity to prevent backup operators from performing VeeamZip action at all.