Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stingrey
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Bottleneck Target

Post by Stingrey »

Hello,
I've searched through some threads but didn't really found an answer to my problem.

Setup:
B&R v7 on on a Win7 VM
Repository is a Synology DS1512+ with 5x WD RED 4TB in RAID5 configuration and connected witd 2x1GB LACP Bond.
Repository is connected as Shared folder (CIFS)

I'm backing up with speeds around 4 MB/s and that is really anoying slowly.
If I check the Bottleneck I get following percentages:
Source: 0 %
Proxy: 1 %
Network: 0 %
Target: 14 %

So if the target is only 14 % busy why is the job so slow?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Bottleneck Target

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

What backup mode are you using? Additionally, did you post bottleneck stats for full or incremental job run?

Thanks!
Stingrey
Novice

Post by Stingrey »

I use "Reversed incremental" method. These are the stats of an running "Active Full" Backup.
And for Storage Deduplication is activated, Compression is Optimal and Storage optimized for LAN-Target.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

Reverse incremental uses 3 times as much I/O as incremental and fast disks and raidsets are advised. What is the main reason you are using reverse?

If you switch to incremental do you gain more speed from it? Also can the synology serve as NFS?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for clarification! Since these stats were for active full run, then changing the backup mode wouldn't help here, but I'm still curious why you have 14% and not 99% in the bottlenecks stats for target. Can you please temporary change the destination repository and check what performance rates you will get after that?

Also please take a look at other people's posts who are using Synology as a target, might be helpful > http://forums.veeam.com/search.php?st=0 ... gy+perf%2A
Stingrey
Novice

Post by Stingrey » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
sry that my answer took so long, but I spend the last few days testing a lot of different configurations.
Today I could finally find the real culprit! It is Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on the VM running Veeam B&R.
Don't know how it exactly interferes, because I couldn't find any increades CPU load or what so ever, but after a new installation without SEP the speed is up to around 100 MB/s :-)

I can finally sleep in peace again :-)