Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
oha
Novice
Liked: never

[wishlist] BR

Post by oha »

Hi,

after using BR now for some time I would like to ask for some small but useful improvements in the BR gui.

Virtual Machines Tab (until now only Name, Used Size,...Host)
  • - add a column with the VM OS (Windows Rxx, RHEL, SUSE, FreeBSD ...)
    - add a column that shows if a VM is already part of a backup job (perhaps include last good backup)
    - allow to create a filter for the OS
Reason behind, on this tab a VM can be added to a backup job but useful information to select the job is missing
For example our VM's are named this way
  • - for development $location-dev01/02/03 ...
    - for automated testing $location-tst01/02/03...
    - for prod $location-srv01/02/03..
But backup jobs are organized mostly within the VM OS to get a better benefit from de-duplication ... e.g.
  • - RHEL
    - SuSe
    - FreeBSD
    - W2k$number
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [whishlist] BR

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the feedback! Just wanted to note that currently the information you're looking for can be easily obtained from Veeam ONE reporting solution.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: [wishlist] BR

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

My 2 cents - Veeam ONE tightly integrates with Veeam B&R, and we do have a VM tab that displays the exact information you need. In addition to this, we have a rich list of pre-defined backup focused views and reports that will report on latest restore point available, latest backup job state, the number of restore points and other important information. Please check it out.
oha
Novice

Post by oha »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Just wanted to add that Veeam ONE tightly integrates with Veeam B&R, and we do have a VM tab that displays the exact information you need. In addition to this, we have a rich list of pre-defined backup focused views and reports that will report on latest restore point available, latest backup job state, the number of restore points and other important information. Please check it out.
Sure, but Veeam ONE is a different application.

Sorry, I must admit I haven't tested even the free Veeam ONE version...
So is it possible to add VM's to a backup job from Veeam ONE or do we have to switch back to B&R to add VM's to a job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, it's not possible, however can you please tell me how you add your VMs in the job? Do you use VM containers?
oha
Novice

Post by oha »

Container yes, but VM's are organized after the purpose not OS
oha
Novice

Post by oha »

Vitaliy S. wrote:No, it's not possible, however can you please tell me how you add your VMs in the job? Do you use VM containers?
Sorry, I answered your question only the half way.

On the host in question we organize hosts only in "Resource Pools" after the purpose, say "build systems", "test systems" ...
This way it can happen in one pool you find 2 x RHEL6, 2 x RHEL5, 1 x SUSE XX

Backup Jobs are created after the HOST OS say backup_RHEL6, backup_RHEL5, backup_SUSE, backup_MS.
Since there are many systems and not all should be backed it's the fastest for the site admin to add the VM from the "Virtual Machines" tab by selecting an choose "add to job...".
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, since you're using containers, then adding new VMs to the job, should not be a problem, right? All VMs will be backed up automatically, once you add them to the container, so you could use Veeam ONE to get all the info required.