Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bertus02
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Bunch of servers VSS Writer Errror 0x800423f4

Post by bertus02 »

Perhaps check your event logs to see if AD Connect upgraded around the time the VSS errors started.

"With the connectivity to Azure AD verified, it is time to look into the eventlogs. Start the event viewer and look in the Application eventlog. Add an eventlog filter for the source Azure AD Connect Upgrade and the event id range 300-399."
RobertMallett
Novice
Full Name: Robert Mallett

Post by RobertMallett »

I can see Azure AD Connect Upgrade - Persisted state loaded successfully. Of course I'm not seeing any errors at present as everything is a sit should be - as soon as I get a fail I'll look up the logs around that time.
damadhatter
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris A

Post by damadhatter »

This continues to happen for me every 3-4 days, quite annoying. I found this script while searching for other people having this issue,

stop-service -displayname “Microsoft Azure AD Sync”
$FQlogonaccount = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service | ? { $_.displayname -match “Microsoft Azure AD Sync”} | select Startname
$split = $FQlogonaccount.startname.Split(“\”[0])
$username = $split[1]
$sqlprocess = Get-WmiObject -Query “Select * from Win32_Process where name = ‘sqlservr.exe'” |
Select Name, Handle, @{Label=’Owner’;Expression={$_.GetOwner().User}} | ? { $_.owner -match $username} | select handle | Out-String
$sqlpid= $sqlprocess.Split(“`n”)[3]
Stop-Process -id $sqlpid -force
start-process -filepath “MsiExec.exe” -argumentlist “/f {6C026A91-640F-4A23-8B68-05D589CC6F18}” -wait
Start-Service -displayname “Microsoft Azure AD Sync”

Script found in the comments section of this posting. http://www.tecfused.com/2016/09/veeam-b ... d-connect/

Still would be nice to figure out a fix to prevent the initial failure, wish Veeam could work with Microsoft on the issue.
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

After first reported over a year ago, this still is a problem (and very annoying one). Is there anything Veeam can do to help it's customers?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi guys, any news? The solution "repair LocalDB and reboot" didn't fix for me, I had to restart VSS Writers failed manually..
rasmusan
Enthusiast
Full Name: Rasmus Andersen

Post by rasmusan »

Hi

Anyone found solution to this?

I have several customers started reporting this error in during the last week - all related to VMs with Azure AD Connect. It seems it has updated itself on 19/10 after which the issues has started. Repair and reboot does not fix issue

/Rasmus
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

Faced this problem again last week. Finally got fed up randomly rebooting servers dunring day time and scheduled a daily reboot every night just before backup. This workaround sucks just a little bit less than manually rebooting every time backup fails.
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
bertus02
Novice

Post by bertus02 »

Is Veeam aware of the issues we are facing with Azure AD Connect? This is becoming tedious to manually reboot 5+ ad connect servers. I have been contemplating adding the script mentioned in this task to the pre-freeze script in the job. Has anyone tested this workaround?
bertus02
Novice

Post by bertus02 »

I added the script mentioned on page 1 to the pre-freeze script and it resolved the issue on one of our Azure AD connect servers. We went from the following to success. I will be rolling the fix out to our other servers as it pops up.

"Unable to release guest. Error: Unfreeze error: [Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{c0c13030-f827-4f40-b0d8-b8f5d4f32edd}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].]
Error: Unfreeze error: [Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{c0c13030-f827-4f40-b0d8-b8f5d4f32edd}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].]
Deon
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Denis Churaev

Post by Deon »

Good afternoon,

I see a bunch of questions directed to nowhere/without a response, all asking if Veeam is aware of it.
I participate in support activity so I do know that this issue is known, however it does not seem to have a strict solution, and even Microsoft DPM has an issue with it from time to time, because it lies in problems with VSS framework.

For anyone having such issue, I would advise to open a multivendor support case in Veeam to be connected with Microsoft support for a resolution, at least it would be the most reliable way to go in my opinion.
Of course you could try to reach Microsoft by yourself, but sometimes it may be more handy to have an engineer assisting you from our end as well, just to be sure we look at the issue from different perspectives.
SdC
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by SdC »

damadhatter wrote:This continues to happen for me every 3-4 days, quite annoying. I found this script while searching for other people having this issue,

stop-service -....
soft Azure AD Sync”

Script found in the comments section of this posting. http://www.tecfused.com/2016/09/veeam-b ... d-connect/

Still would be nice to figure out a fix to prevent the initial failure, wish Veeam could work with Microsoft on the issue.
That is my script and it is also on THIS VERY THREAD ON PAGE 1, right above some other posts you made :wink:
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

I'm having the same issue and I wonder if you could exclude this VSS writer from backup?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

ive been experiencing this issue - i found this - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... errecovery

typically, i have to restart the server for it to complete a backup/rep. it usually requires a restart every few day as related to Azure AD Sync updating likely and causing issues with permissions. i changed the log on account of the SQL server VSS writer service to a domain service account with proper permissions to the DB. for now that seemed to solve it. i will give an update in a week or so to confirm whether or not the issue has resurfaced.
reaperhammer
Service Provider
Full Name: Will S

Post by reaperhammer » 1 person likes this post

I use the script on this page to fix the issue temporarily
http://www.tecfused.com/2017/10/veeam-b ... -31102017/

As a permanent fix you can update the SQL VSS writer by using any full installer for SQL and selecting “Upgrade from SQL 2005, 2008…” then follow the wizard and reboot, or select “New SQL Server Stand-alone installation…”and selecting only This can fix the ADSync backup as well as break the backup for other SQL instances if there are any on the same server so better take a test backup right after doing this and rollback if any other strange things happen.Another option is to move ADSync database to a SQL Express or Standard instance on the same server or another server: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wi ... ation.aspx

Or the less recommended option of disabling Azure AD connect updates
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... ic-upgrade
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Yeah, I tried to upgrade SQL Server to the Version 2016 and since then the issue seems to be gone.
Datatekniker
Lurker
Full Name: Flemming

Post by Datatekniker »

Hi,

To "MCZ", what version of SQLserver were you running before the upgrade ?

and did you get any new issues after the upgrade ?
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Previous version was 2012 Express Edition (so the basic setup which comes with installation of AD Connect) and now I see that I only installed SP1 for SQLServer 2016. In my case it worked and I didn't receive any other issues since then. Probably it is enough to repair the existing installation??
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

...ok I have to revert what I wrote some hours ago because the issue is still there...
scott_thomson
Lurker
Full Name: Scott Thomson

Post by scott_thomson »

Hi all,

Not a Veeam user, but since this thread was what initially clued me in to the issue with the product we use for Hyper-V host-level backups of guests, I thought I'd chime in.

This definitely looks like a MS issue, but I haven't found any real acknowledgement of the problem anywhere from them. In hopes that we can raise the profile of the issue, I've posted to the AD Connect UserVoice as well as the MS Partner Support forums. Hopefully if you can add your voices to this, someone at MS will get involved:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/16940 ... it-doesn-t
https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en ... 9729458808
GregorS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Gregor Smerke

Post by GregorS »

Having the same issue, just subscribing to this thread, thanks.
mats.jansson
Service Provider
Full Name: Mats

Post by mats.jansson »

The only solution that workt for us was to uninstall azure ad connect, install sql express (we used 2016 sp1) and reinstalled azure ad connect with option to use the manual installed express and a service account for sql (it's also working to use a sql on another server).
Mats
Datatekniker
Lurker
Full Name: Flemming

Post by Datatekniker »

This works,

If you can accept that the AADconnect, is dead in the wather for a short period of time, a simple solution is this.

Use task scheduler:

1. Stop the AADconnect service shortly before the Veeambackup is set to run. (Powershell Stop-Service -DisplayName 'Microsoft Azure AD Sync')

---- The backup is running

2. Start the AADconnect again after a the backup has finished. (mine takes about 15min, so I start the service after 30min.) (Powershell Start-Service -DisplayName 'Microsoft Azure AD Sync')

Thats it.
My backup has been running 3 times this weekend without any further problems :-)
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz » 1 person likes this post

Datatekniker wrote: 2. Start the AADconnect again after a the backup has finished. (mine takes about 15min, so I start the service after 30min.) (Powershell Start-Service -DisplayName 'Microsoft Azure AD Sync')
You should be able to start the service just after the snapshot has been taken (start it in the post-thaw script) because veeam releases vss-snapshot after vmware snapshot (if you are not indexing the filesystem).
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour » 1 person likes this post

i haven't had to restart this server since i wrote my original post about changing the login permissions to the service..

Veeam Logo by bdufour » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 pm

ive been experiencing this issue - i found this - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... errecovery

typically, i have to restart the server for it to complete a backup/rep. it usually requires a restart every few day as related to Azure AD Sync updating likely and causing issues with permissions. i changed the log on account of the SQL server VSS writer service to a domain service account with proper permissions to the DB. for now that seemed to solve it. i will give an update in a week or so to confirm whether or not the issue has resurfaced.
jeradries
Lurker

Post by jeradries »

scott_thomson wrote:This definitely looks like a MS issue, but I haven't found any real acknowledgement of the problem anywhere from them. In hopes that we can raise the profile of the issue, I've posted to the AD Connect UserVoice as well as the MS Partner Support forums. Hopefully if you can add your voices to this, someone at MS will get involved:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/16940 ... it-doesn-t
https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en ... 9729458808
I have been following your post on the MS Partner Support forum and when looking at the SyncEngine-AutoUpgrader-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX.log files in C:\ProgramData\AADConnect, I am seeing the auto-upgrade process being triggered every 6 hours as well starting on 10/23. However, what caught my eye is "Upgrading AADConnect to version: 1.1.648.0".

According to the version release history at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... on-history, this isn't a valid version number. Are you seeing the same thing?
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Yep, I see the same version number in the logfile.
dnorth
Novice
Full Name: David North

Post by dnorth »

bdufour wrote:i changed the log on account of the SQL server VSS writer service to a domain service account with proper permissions to the DB. for now that seemed to solve it.
Changing the service account seems to be working for me. The first Veeam job after an Auto (non-)Upgrade completed without an error anyway. Thanks, Blake.
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

Changing the service account seems to be working for me. The first Veeam job after an Auto (non-)Upgrade completed without an error anyway. Thanks, Blake.[/quote]

no problem, i still haven't had to restart this server and all jobs for it are still completing without any errors. at this point, i don't think it's just a coincidence and this may have fixed the issue on my end.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

In my case, repairing the express-db-instance has resolved the issue...
Marius_Aad
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marius

Post by Marius_Aad »

Upgrading MSSQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB to SP4 fixed the issue for me. Multiple back up jobs finished successfully after that without restarting the vm.