Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tuanla
Lurker
Liked: never

Calculating Backup Copy Size

Post by tuanla »

I'm a newbie with Veeam. Now my company uses VeeamB&R11. I'm confusing when planning the capicity of repos. I try to use https://calculator.veeam.com/vbr/ to calculate. But I'm not clear to set up parameters in that tool. How can I set GFS points so it can matches with my scenario?

My backup scenario:
- My data source: 25T
- Forward Incremental Backup
- Run full backup once time/week on the Saturday, other days of week will run incremental backup - store in repo1
- In the last week of the 2nd month, I will backup those full backups to repo2.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Calculating Backup Copy Size

Post by foggy »

As I understand it, you want to keep every second month's full restore point for an extended period of time, so you need to specify the number of such restore points as a monthly parameter for the backup copy policy.
tuanla
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tuanla »

@foggy, thank you for your reply. Sorry I described not clear. As I mean, each full backup file will be stored in repo1 for 2months and in the last week of the 2nd month, it will be copied to repo2 and stored for a long time.
As I tried in http://rps.dewin.me/ with incremental backup running in 2months, I will have 10 full backups and 56 incrementall backups. So I need to copy 10 full backups to repo2.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

A backup copy doesn't copy everything you have on the source repository but rather synthetically creates restore points on the target. If you do want every full to be copied to repo2, you'd need to configure the backup copy to offload Saturday's points as GFS ones.