Can I rename a target folder in a backup repository?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Can I rename a target folder in a backup repository?

Veeam Logoby kjstech » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

I have a backup copy job that is dumping backups into \\fnbackup2\backups\Copy vmfs2.

I would like to rename that last folder from "Copy vmfs2" to just "vmfs2". I would like to do this without corrupting the job. So the job is set to be continuous (it is idle now). If I do these following steps, I will not cause any harm to this job correct?

Stop the job.
Rename the folder.
Rescan the fnbackup2 backup repository.
Edit the job Copy vmfs2 and do a map backup and point to vmfs2.
Start the job.

Will this be ok?
kjstech
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Keith S

Re: Can I rename a target folder in a backup repository?

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Hello Keith,
Correct. It should work fine.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 407 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby pshute » Sun May 28, 2017 9:39 pm

I just followed the same I think successfully, following the instructions here:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2174

Some comments and questions:
- In Step 3 (Rescan the repository), it took me a little while to realise I need to go to Backup Infrastructure, then Backup Respositories, then right click on my repository, then select Rescan. The instructions say to choose "Rescan Repository", but the option reads just "Rescan". I assume the wording has changed since that was written, or since my version was released (I'm on 9.5.0.711).
- In step 5 (map backup) it says "select the existing backup chain", but I found I had to select the OLD name of the folder, which could be confusing.

I have just been through this process to make the folder called "Backup Job 1 - test" match the name of the job "Backup Job 1 - main". After following the process I still see a file in F:\Backups\Backup Job 1 - main called "Backup Job 1 - test.vbm". Will that remain like that forever?

I also still have a tape backup called "Backup Job 1 - test on Tape". Will that change to match the new folder name after the next tape backup? The actual tape job is called "Backup to Tape Job 1 - Weekly".
pshute
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm

pshute wrote:I have just been through this process to make the folder called "Backup Job 1 - test" match the name of the job "Backup Job 1 - main". After following the process I still see a file in F:\Backups\Backup Job 1 - main called "Backup Job 1 - test.vbm". Will that remain like that forever?

I believe, if you've already renamed the job itself, then you can just delete VBM and it will be recreated with the new name on the next job run.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby pshute » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 am

foggy wrote:I believe, if you've already renamed the job itself, then you can just delete VBM and it will be recreated with the new name on the next job run.

How sure are you? It still has the same name after several days.
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby pshute » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:05 am

An unexpected side effect of renaming the repository folder - the tape backup name (In Backups/Tape) now matches the folder name and the backup name, which is good. But instead of renaming the backup already in there, it's added a new one. In that new tape backup, I see just one restore point. To retrieve from older tapes, I will need to remember to look in the other tape backup, which has many restore points.

Is there a way to fix that? Should I be asking this in the tape forum?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:38 pm

pshute wrote:How sure are you? It still has the same name after several days.

Have you deleted the old file?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pshute » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Not yet, I was just observing that the problem won't fix itself.

I was just wondering how sure you are that deleting the old *.vbm file is safe. If it will be rebuilt during the next run, what is its purpose? And are there any side effects? Will everything behave as before after it's rebuilt? Will it be possible to access the backups in between deleting it and it being rebuilt?

And are there any plans to remove the need for the renaming of folders after a backup job is renamed? Why can't it do all that for me when I rename the job?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:25 pm

It will not fix itself, you'd need to delete the VBM file. This will not have any side effects, the file is required to store backup metadata for fast access.
foggy
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication