Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Can I rename a VM running from IVMR?

Post by kjstech »

Hi, I am using Instant VM Recovery to recover some VM's into a Lab resource pool and folder, starting initially with network disconnected (I am manually connecting them to SureBackup Proxy networks - I keep the surebackup proxy on). The point of this excersize is to test an upgrade for a particular application we use. It is dependant on Active Directory, an application server and a client. So I will be using Instant VM Recovery for 3 VM's for this test. I noticed when I use IVMR the machine has the same name as one already in production. Doesn't this cause a conflict in any way with the production machine? SO I see I can right click and rename it, so I added -lab after the VM. It seemed to still work properly and then I unpublished it in the Veeam B&R console and it seemed that the files went away except for a \VeeamIR folder in one of my datastores.

Is it ok to rename the machines with the -lab designation so we do not confuse them with production machines? Or is it really totally OK that duplicate VM's have the same name in vCenter?
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Re: Can I rename a VM running from IVMR?

Post by kjstech »

I didn't realize the VM Name field was editable in the job properties. Yes it looks like it isn't a problem to change the VM name when building out the job. It seems vCenter lets duplicate names exist only if they are in different resource pools, thus is why my initial test allowed me to have the same name.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Can I rename a VM running from IVMR?

Post by jmmarton »

Correct, there is no problem with customizing the "Restored VM name" within the IVMR job.

Joe