Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Can I replicate from a backup somehow??

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to minimize the impact of a snapshot on a VM in a WAN replication setup. I have 93 VMs which I would like to replicate to a DR site which is connected via 45Mbps connection. This obviously takes hours and hours to complete and my replication window (8pm-7am) just doesn't allow enough time to complete these. I have tried to set throttling which allows the replication to continue at a slower rate past the 7AM cutoff but the issue is that a snapshot which might have been take hours ago being deleted in production window causes too many end-user issues as we all know that deletion of snaps is very iops intensive and affects machine performance. What I would like to do is to run a backup of the 93 machines to a LAN target starting at 8PM, and then follow the completion of that job with a replication job that gets its data from the BACKUP copy of the VM rather than the running VM. This would eliminate the need for another snapshot on the production machine and greatly reduce the amount of time the machine is snapped since it will backup to a LAN target much faster than replicate to a WAN target. I could then leave the replication running all day long at a throttled speed as it would have no production impact. Seems like a no-brainer idea..what am I missing?

ED7
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Can I replicate from a backup somehow??

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chad, we are looking to add this functionality in the next minor release. Thanks!
daphnis
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by daphnis »

This would be a fantastic improvement and something which I have looked for myself.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Post by electricd7 » 1 person likes this post

That would be outstanding! Would really help us get our replication jobs complete. If I could ask for anything else it would be WAN Accelleration on replication jobs and storage snapshots for NetApp. Thats all I want for Christmas!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

WAN accelerated replcias are already expected in the next minor release as I understood, was scheduled for 7.0 but it did not make it only for time constraints. WAN Acceleration for replicas would be even more disruptive than for backup IMHO.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

electricd7 wrote:That would be outstanding! Would really help us get our replication jobs complete. If I could ask for anything else it would be WAN Accelleration on replication jobs and storage snapshots for NetApp. Thats all I want for Christmas!
OK, I will have a chat with Santa Koder ;)