Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
William Bohn
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Bill Bohn

Can VeeaMover copy backups from one B&R instance to another?

Post by William Bohn »

We have two different locations that both have their own B&R server and repositories. We have them managed under one Enterprise Manager so they are on the same license.

Can we copy a few backups from one location to the other and actually use them with the other B&R? I don't see how one B&R can access the other's repo or if that is even possible.

Should I just make a network share and then have that be a new repo to copy the backups too? And if so, could the other B&R access that or what steps would you do to have the other B&R access the other's repo/copied backups?

thanks !
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Can VeeaMover copy backups from one B&R instance to another?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Bill

No, we only can move/copy backups within the same Veeam Backup & Replication environment.
May I ask the use case for moving the files?
Restore Tests? Migration of virtual workloads and their backups to the other location?
Should I just make a network share and then have that be a new repo to copy the backups too?
That can work.
Please note, copying backup files may not be FastClone aware if you copy to a SMB repository. Check for that the requirements of SMB FastClone support: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... positories

If you need a single restore point in the second location for testing, you may also use backup export to the SMB share.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
William Bohn
Enthusiast

Post by William Bohn »

The use case is that our main location has a tape drive to archive backups. Even if it is just a filecopy to tape we would like to have the backup copies here first instead of running tape backup jobs long distance.. our other site is smaller and just has disk backups only.

I thought Veeamover would have some ways of helping here?

View this as a DR request. We have two locations, one big, one small, and would like to copy the small location backups to the big site at least once a week.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bill

Thanks for providing me with the use case.
In such case, I recommend to use a single backup server for both sites.
Dedicated repositories or proxies can still be on both sites, managed by one backup server.
This way you can use backup copy jobs between both locations. Configure the tape server to write the backup copy to tape with a backup to tape job.
I thought Veeamover would have some ways of helping here?
VeeaMover was build to migrate backups from one storage to another. Or to do a one time copy.
If you need regular copies of your backup, consider using backup copy jobs. They are build for such use cases.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
William Bohn
Enthusiast

Post by William Bohn »

Thanks Fabian I was hoping to not reduce to one B&R here but that is what I have done at prior companies and we do have enough licenses here to go towards that so that will probably be our course of action.

One question about DR, so if all you have is a backup file but the Veeam server is gone, is there anyway to bring the VM back with another Veeam server that never ran the job?