Welcome to the community!
I looked at your support case and it seemed you are planning on doing a remote session with the engineer to get things fixed. From what I can read, the engineer is (imho) looking at the things that will need to be done to get it fixed so I think it is best now to wait until that session is done to look further. I don't think it is a good idea to start making changes now
Please let us know the outcome after the support case is closed, I think the community can benefit from the solution