Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mchate
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Erie Mchate

Case #05228222 - Cannot add repository to scale-out repositories in B&R

Post by mchate »

Hello Veeam R&D,

I am running B&R version 11 and want to archive old backup to AWS-S3. During configuration steps I am able to successfully setup aws s3 config in "backup repositories" option, but cannot add the aws-s3 repository in "scale-out repositories". The name does not appear in the list to add, only main backup is being list as item i can add.

Thanks!
McH.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Case #05228222 - Cannot add repository to scale-out repositories in B&R

Post by Mildur »

Hi Erie

I don‘t have access to your support case, because I‘m not working at veeam.

You are talking about only seeing the main backup repository. I assume, you are in the performance tier step. You must choose a onpremise backup repo as the performance tier.

The aws s3 object storage must be added as a capacity tier in this step:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

You can choose on the capacity tier step move or copy policy. What you choose, depends on your requirements. If you want to archive, then I think move policy (combined with copy policy) would be a perfect solution. Active backup chain will be on your main Backup repo (performance tier) and older backups will be available only on the aws s3 bucket.

For move policy to work, your backup job must be configured with regularly fullbackups (synthetic or active fulls, best would be weekly). Or use a reverse incremental backup job. The retention of the backup job is used for the capacity tier.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mchate
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Erie Mchate

Post by mchate »

I did what you recommend and choose the onpremise backup but still unable to continue with the performance tier wizard configuration.

I am getting an error "unable to add extent Main Backup Repository because it serves as the target for one or more job types which are not supported by scale-out backup repository" I tried deleting and recreating the main backup repository but still getting the same error.

Thank you!
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

There are some job types which cannot be used with a scale-out repository; for example the configuration backup. You have to create a new repository and point those jobs to it, before you use your Main repository as an extent.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110