Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
salyerma
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Salyer

Catalyst Backup Setup Question

Post by salyerma »

I am currently running V10 and have two locations. I have a veeam backup server with SAS attached local storage for quick backups and restores for 14 days. Then I have an HP Storeonce that I use backup copy jobs to copy the backups from local-attached storage to the Storeonce. At the other location, I have the same setup.

When we were using DataDomains, We had the DataDomains at each site, replicate their M-Trees to each other. That worked great and gave me a DR copy at the other site.

I was excited when it was announced that V10 supported Catalyst replication as I thought that was the missing piece. Turns out, Veeam does not support Backup Copy Job destinations as Catalyst copy sources. Only Backup Jobs can be replicated. But I am not putting Backup Jobs to my Storeonces, as the best practice was fast local attached disks for quick backup/restores.

Is there any way to configure what I have now to match what I had in the past? Is there something I am missing that will give me a DR site with the remote catalyst?

What would be best practice for a locally attached backup destination, backup copy to a storeonce, with a dr storeonce located across the wan?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Catalyst Backup Setup Question

Post by foggy »

Hi Mark, you're right, currently, backup copy jobs are not supported as a source for Catalyst Copy jobs but supporting them is on our short-term list.
salyerma
Influencer

Post by salyerma »

So, is there a workaround for the kind of setup I am looking for before this gets fixed? I bought and attached local storage since that was the recommendation for fast restores. I have the DataDomains/Storeonce's in order to have longer term archives. I need to now have a DR site so that I can copy those backups remotely.

Is there anything such as replication or SOBR or anything else that will allow me to setup what I need? What are the current best practices for replicating backup stores to remote locations? Surely I am not the only one needing such functionality?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You may use regular backup copy jobs between StoreOnce repositories, but those are not utilizing Catalyst Copy so will require data rehydration.
salyerma
Influencer

Post by salyerma »

But that wont go back and get the older backups in the chain correct?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Immediate mode copies restore points as soon as they appear on a source, unlike Periodic mode that creates a single restore point during the copy interval, if that is what you mean.