Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
musikhersteller
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek S.

Challenge with Connecting B and R to VMware Host

Post by musikhersteller »

Hello,

I am having some challenges connecting Veeam B&R to our VMware host, and it's got me stumped, to say the least! Here are some notes from my findings:

- B&R is installed on a VM within the same host
- All VMs (Windows Servers) within this host are able to ping once with a fast reply; then, no additional replies are received from pings
- Able to connect to VMs by RDC, ping and other services as normal
- VMs are on the same gateway and subnet mask as the host
- Windows Firewall is disabled on the VM with B&R installed
- Physical servers and locations outside of the data center can ping the VMware host
- To the best of my knowledge, our physical firewall is not blocking port 443 or internal traffic
- The firewall on the ESXi host server is allowing all connections

My support case # is "00478999". If anyone has any ideas, I'd be much appreciative! Thanks in advance.

-Derek
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Challenge with Connecting B and R to VMware Host

Post by foggy »

Derek, am I understanding right that you cannot add ESXi host into Veeam B&R management console? What kind of error do you get?
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

musikhersteller wrote:- All VMs (Windows Servers) within this host are able to ping once with a fast reply; then, no additional replies are received from pings
Derek,
I think the quoted part is the first to troubleshoot. There's an article from VMware about networking troubleshooting, worth a try: http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2013/02/trou ... xesxi.html
musikhersteller
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek S.

Post by musikhersteller »

Thanks for reaching out, foggy and nefes. I've done some more looking into this (including reading your resource) and found out some more details:

Original error: "Failed to login to [IP address] by SOAP, port 443, [user], proxy srv: port:0. Unable to connect to the remote server. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond [IP address : port].

We found a resource yesterday that got us a little closer to a resolution: http://www.rhobbs.co.uk/2011/02/how-to- ... l-vm-host/ -- however, when applying the new virtual NIC to the server based on the instructions below in this post, I am then able to ping the VMware host, but all other network activity from this particular virtual machine is lost.

I'm not sure yet of a way to use this new virtual NIC to connect to both the VMware host and other internet/network resources. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I can provide additional information also, of course.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Post by ccatlett1984 »

Are you trying to directly add a esxi host to veeam? or your vcenter server?

You can't add a esxi host directly, as VMware does not publish direct api's for the hosts, so veeam must use vcenter to arbitrate communications.
tkrajewski
Veeam Software
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Tomasz Krajewski

Post by tkrajewski »

Just small correction to previous post. You can add standalone ESXi host, but not free edition. ESXi host has to be licensed in anyway, but it's possible to add standalone, licensed host to backup infrastructure. More here: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... aunch.html
Tomasz
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Another small correction - you can add free ESXi host into Veeam B&R console, but you cannot backup/replicate/etc. VMs residing on such a host.