Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
manse
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Mansell

Change destination host for existing LAN based jobs?

Post by manse »

Hi,

We are using LAN based backup/replication jobs with a Target ESX host/NFS share. If we decide to change the target ESX host for existing jobs in the future are we going to need to create new jobs? Meaning we will need to start with a new Full job?

My concern is that if we wanted to move the target to newer ESX hosts (even if its the same target NFS datastore) we will need to recreate all of our jobs and take the hit of them all needing a new Full backup initially?

Regards
Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Change destination host for existing LAN based jobs?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello, Paul

Yes, that's right.
Unfortunately, there is no such functionality of updating destination target for a backup yet. You should recreate the job pointing to the new location.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Paul, how critical is this functionality for you? Your opinion will affect prioritization - I am tracking requests&priorities for all pending feature. It was requested at least 4 times, but so far, most customers told us it would be just "nice to have". Of course, this feature is not impossible to implement in near future, we just have to prioritize it among other hundred or two :wink:
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I think this features is pretty important. We just purchased Veeam and were wanting to migrate our already running backups from our test location to their new permanent location on a new big disk array. Having to recreate the jobs didn't make us very happy.

I won't tell you that we just used SQL Studio to change the destinations right in the database as the schema's pretty simple and changing it is straightforward. Oops, I let that slip. Shh, don't tell Veeam, I'm sure it's not supported. They don't hang around here much do they? :twisted:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

hehe, good one :mrgreen:
manse
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Mansell

Post by manse »

Gostev, this would be very important to us, we are going to be implementing LAN based backups to a DataDomain appliance (due to the known VCB/CIFS issue). My concern is that when if replace the hosts in our cluster we are going to have to recreate all of the backup jobs. It would be a real nice feature to be able to edit the jobs to target the newer hosts on next backup (even if the destination datastore cant be changed)

tsightler, I'd be interested in hearing more about that? :twisted:

PS - thanks for the very speedy response - as soon as we go into production with Veeam I think I'll be visiting this forum a lot :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, hopefully DataDomain CIFS integration issue will be resolved anyway with 4.0 due to some changes with backup storage. We seem to have found what activity DataDomain device is having issues with in case of CIFS integration.

But I will revisit the change destination feature with our Veeam Backup project lead when he is back from vacation. Sounds easy to implement unless there are some hidden issues I am missing.