Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
martinuy
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin Gonzalez

Change mensual retention in GFS Backup Copy Job

Post by martinuy »

Hi,

We have a lot of Backup Copy Job with GFS policy applied, i need to change the mensual retention beacose this full archive is now store in tape.
The question is, if chenge de retention policy of GFS to only store semanal full backups, the mensual archive is delete or the deletion is manual in the backup repository?

For more information, we dont have avalable tapes to evacuate the mensual full backup generated.

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Martin G.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Change mensual retention in GFS Backup Copy Job

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Martin, if you disable the monthly backups, they will remain on disk until you manually delete them. Thanks!
martinuy
Novice

Post by martinuy »

Thanks for the information.

Regards.
martinuy
Novice

Post by martinuy »

Hi, I update Veeam to de CU 20201202, I disable de monthly backups of the backup copy jobs, and when restart de job, all de monthly backups are delete (6 month), i need to confirm is if this change with de CU.
Thanks in advance.
atsrl
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: AT SRL

Post by atsrl »

foggy wrote: Oct 07, 2020 9:24 pm Hi Martin, if you disable the monthly backups, they will remain on disk until you manually delete them. Thanks!
Hello foggy.
Do you know in which release this behavior changed?
Tks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I need to apologize for bringing some confusion here. We need to distinguish disabling the entire GFS retention and just setting the number of GFS restore points for some period to 0 (or any value that is lower than the current one). In the former case, Veeam B&R allows to keep the restore points on disk prompting the user for decision, while in the latter the corresponding restore points are deleted according to retention at the end of the next job run. However, this will change in the upcoming v11, where in both cases it will just warn the user about deletion without the ability to keep the backups.