Change Repository Without Copying Files

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Change Repository Without Copying Files

Veeam Logoby jrp76 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Is this article the same method if our SP is on VEEAM 9.5 and we are the tenant on VEEAM 9.0?

So the SP has to move the files even though I can access both repositories and I can copy and paste the files between the two repositories? (the old and new repositories)
jrp76
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Pletcher

Veeam Logoby jrp76 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 pm

To add to my last comment, for the article explaining how to do this it requires both the SP and tenant to do parts. I can do the part of the SP as I can copy and paste the files from the old repository to the new one. But when I then scan the service provider, and scan the new repository, it looks like it finds the folders/files I copy over, but it "skips" them rather than bringing them in where I can then map to them. They are encrypted. The article that pertains to 9.5 mentions that if you have encrypted backup copies they will show up in a different node called "cloud encrypted". Was this something new in 9.5? Or why does rescanning the new repository skip over the folder/files that I've copied over? It definitely sees them as it states it skipped 5 of them.
jrp76
Novice

Veeam Logoby sfakhry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Hello,

I am using Veeam B&R 9.5 and the simplest way to change the repository that I found is this :
1 -Under backup/Disk select the job using the repository and click on remove from configuration
2- change the target storage repository
3- run import backup on the old repository

Hope this will help.
sfakhry
Lurker

Full Name: Sami Fakhry

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Jon, you can copy files yourself, indeed. This was just a more general procedure. Version difference shouldn't cause any issues, as far as I know. Once again, I encourage you to contact support for a more effective troubleshooting.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jrp76 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

I think I got it figured out. My backup files are encrypted, and in the article it stated that after rescanning the repository the encrypted backup files would show up under "Cloud - encrypted" and I'd need to enter the encryption key. In v9 there is no "Cloud - encrypted", just "Cloud". But my backups that I was trying to move were in fact under "Disk - Encrypted". There I could specify the key and then they'd show up under "Cloud" where I needed them to be, and then I could select them to remap to in the BC job.

What does it mean to "remove from configuration"? Do I need to do that as I move my back files and repoint to the new repository? I've seen this term used a lot in this thread.
jrp76
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 am 1 person likes this post

jrp76 wrote:What does it mean to "remove from configuration"? Do I need to do that as I move my back files and repoint to the new repository? I've seen this term used a lot in this thread.

Removing backups from configuration (using the corresponding command on the backup's shortcut menu) is required if you're going to repoint the job to another repository without copying files (for example, if backups are lost).
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jrp76 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Thank you. In this case I am moving the files so it isn't necessary then. I guess the only thing that tripped me up was not seeing the "Cloud (Encrypted)" option in the V9 interface. The encrypted cloud backups were under "Disk (Encrypted)" area. Then I just had to right click on the jobs there and enter the encryption password/key, and they then showed up properly under the "Cloud" area. Thank you for your responses and I hope this helps others.
jrp76
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:38 am

I assume the UI has changed a bit since v9. Here's the same instruction for previous version.
foggy
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication