GregorD
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

Re: how to change backup repository without copy old backup fi

Post by GregorD »

maybie someone have the same Problem
Veeam V10 P1
after Change backup Job to new repository you get error "move all backup files to the new backup repository first" When you dont want to do this , here ist the solution. Solution B
https://www.veeam.com/kb3127
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

Easy solution to this is just to clone all of your jobs, and in the new cloned jobs change the target repository.

The new cloned jobs will not "expect" any backup files, and will start a new full backup chain on next run.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

GregorD wrote: Apr 03, 2020 8:34 am here ist the solution. Solution B
https://www.veeam.com/kb3127
Hi Gregor, I believe you meant some other KB article since the one you mention is a v10 Patch 1 release notes. But anyway, the solution is described at the beginning of this thread. Thanks!
GregorD
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

Re: Change Repository Without Copying Files

Post by GregorD »

ok you are Right the Right link
https://www.veeam.com/kb1729
bhnelson
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Nelson

Post by bhnelson »

Ugh. No good (imo) solution presented in this whole thread. Why so many easy problems are impossible with Veeam? Its big brain logic is always falling on its face in terms of functionality. :(

I have an existing job with existing backups. I want the same job (not a new one) to start writing new data in a different repo. I don't want to move or copy existing backups. Nor do I want to lose or confound access to restoring existing backups either (no removing from config or rescanning as imports. yuck to both). And I want the existing backups in the old location to continue to age out according to retention time as expected.

The 'reg key' solution seems like it would have the desired effect (disable the 'must move existing backups' check in edit job). But I tried that and it doesn't seem to do that (or anything at all?) in v10. Since that thread is originally from v5 I'm not surprised.

So I will settle for just cloning to a new job (unnecessarily confounding backup and restore activities) pointed to the new location. However, how to I get the old job to continue to expire and remove files? I feel like the job must continue to run, but with no clients. But this is again impossible in Veeam. Any other suggestion (besides doing it manually)?

-B
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

This functionality is now available for GFS backups created with V11. For earlier versions, you'd have to expire them manually.
bhnelson
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Nelson

Post by bhnelson » 1 person likes this post

And sadly, it doesn't seem possible to manually delete with any sort of granularity. I can delete all restore points, or... not. That's the only option as far as I can tell. Even through powershell. Not helpful.

Luckily I did find a stupid yet easy workaround. I found I could set the 'old' job to exclude *all* disks, then continue to run it occasionally. That way it expires old backups as expected. It does create additional (but tiny, only the VM definition files I think) backups each time it's run but that's a small price for a functional solution.

To exclude all disks I went to Job->Virtual Machines->Exclusions->Disks-> Select my tag entry, set it to 'selected disks' and leave the selection window empty. I use vsphere tags but it should work otherwise, there just might be more than one entry to have to change.

Brian