Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Changing backup configuration

Post by withanh »

When I first set up my backup jobs, I individually picked the VMs from the list. I have since learned that it would be better/easier for changing/adding/removing to select a VM folder. I have folders now created and my VMs are in the appropriate folders.

If I change my backup and replication jobs to look at the folders instead of the individual VMs, will this cause a "full" backup/replication to happen again, or will it know that it is seeing the same machines and continue with the incremental differences?

Thanks!

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Changing backup configuration

Post by Gostev »

Hi Darhl, it will know that it is seeing the same machines and continue with the incremental differences. No matter how you populate your job (whether individual VMs, or with containers - like VM folder), VMs are memorized in the jobs' configuration using their unique vCenter IDs, which is why from the job's perspective nothing will really change.
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Re: Changing backup configuration

Post by withanh »

Awesome, that's great news!

Thanks Anton!
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law